Create decrypted backup from an encrypted backup?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Rojma

Create decrypted backup from an encrypted backup?

Post by Rojma »

Is there a way to create a decrypted backup if you have an encrypted backup that was created using the MakeMKV backup option?

Backstory

I have a disc that wouldn't rip properly and kept getting hash errors. To fix the issue, I used ddrescue and the process documented in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16920

Using ddrescue I was able to create an ISO and recover 100% of the disc. I followed the thread instructions of creating the discatt.dat file by doing an inital rip of the disc, followed by copying the BDMV folder from the rescued ISO. This worked and I was finally able to rip the content with no hash errors.

However, I like to have decrypted backup copies of all of my discs. Right now, I have the encrypted backup with the discatt.dat file, but I would like a decrypted backup instead. Since the Backup option only appears in MakeMKV when you insert a disc, I can't figure out a way to point to the encrypted backup directory with the discatt.dat file and tell it to create a decrypted backup. Thoughts or ideas?
Rojma

Re: Create decrypted backup from an encrypted backup?

Post by Rojma »

FYI, I forgot to mention that with the Windows version, I mounted the rescued ISO in Windows, which makes it look like a disc so that MakeMKV would think its a disc, and then tried to create a backup using the MakeMKV Backup option. However, this didn't work, I assume because ultimately the disc is encrypted and not actually the real physical disc. Would injecting the discatt.dat file into the ISO possibly make it work?
Last edited by Rojma on Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

There's this thread from a few days ago: Unencrypted Backup from Encrypted Backup
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

Thanks. Was looking in the wrong place. I am pretty sure I tried what they suggested and it didn't work, but I'll try again.
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

Oh wait, I tried the original rescued ISO. I didn't create a new ISO from the encrypted backup. This might go along the same lines of injecting the discatt.dat into the rescued ISO, but I'll try just creating a new ISO from the encrypted backup.
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

I followed the instructions in the linked post and it worked! Thanks again for pointing me to the other thread.