Integration with ripping robot

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
BluDay

Integration with ripping robot

Post by BluDay »

Hi,

I have a ripping robot (Cronus from Vinpower) - has anyone successfully managed to integrate a robot into makemkv?

Ideally I would get it to automatically rip DVDs/BluRays into .mkv.
Woodstock

Re: Integration with ripping robot

Post by Woodstock »

One consideration will be that a lot of DVDs and some Blurays have "no identification", so you'll have to deal with automatic tools assigning them generic names. If that's not a problem, things get easier.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
flojo

Re: Integration with ripping robot

Post by flojo »

First, I seriously doubt you'll be able to install makemkvcon on the internal system. But of course find out what the internal operating system is first, just in case.

Your autoloader states here https://www.vinpowerdigital.com/product ... -bk-series:
Command line support:
Able to integrate customer's own software to operate loader – allows customized API software support
Sadly, I don't see any API documentation on their support page for controlling it. If you can find that, then you could *possibly* do it by issuing a "change disc" command then after the disc changes, disconnect the UHD drive and connect it to your PC. After ripping, reconnect back to the autoloader. You might need to reboot the loader too as I seriously doubt it's setup for hot plugging (although that would be nice).

I've seen all this done with Padus DiscJuggler based systems a long, long, long time ago. However, the 1 advantage you have is that you can issue a "change disc" command via software. Otherwise it takes a little hardware hacking with cheap optoresistors and a little soldering (or strong solenoids to push buttons). The advantage of using a few hardware hacks is that it can work no matter what... at least with enough software.

NOTE: you don't need a fancy API for this, you pretty much just need a change disc command, a drive choice and a bin choice to drop the disc. So if you see a huge API list, just know you really only need a few commands (most will be irrelevant for this, like JITTER=, PRINT=, etc.)