UTF-8 Conversion

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Millenium

UTF-8 Conversion

Post by Millenium »

Hey all
Most media players don;t recognise the blu ray subtitle format and subtitles need to be converted to utf-8 in order to be able to be used on the media player. So has it this ability or is it able to be added in a future version. this program is great and i think with the subtitle conversion mode it would be perfect. cheers
Chetwood

Re: UTF-8 Conversion

Post by Chetwood »

Why in hell would Mike add an OCR routine? Get a decent player that supports PGS subs.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Chetwood wrote:Get a decent player that supports PGS subs.
+1
Even most crappy players support them now.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
AlienFIrefox

Post by AlienFIrefox »

actually media players don't support most subtitle formats. in fact media players never have had full support for subtitles because media players are a portable media device they have never supposably required subtitle support. so pull your head in.
Millenium

Post by Millenium »

My player does support PGS Subs but not PGS Subs converted with this program.

My player supports

Sub - SMI - SSA SRT PGS

but the subtitle font needs to be UTF-8
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Millenium wrote:My player does support PGS Subs but not PGS Subs converted with this program.

My player supports

Sub - SMI - SSA SRT PGS

but the subtitle font needs to be UTF-8
You have no f'in clue what you're talking about.

UTF-8 is a text encoding. Blu-ray/PGS subtitles are bitmaps (images), not text. Thus what you're requesting and/or suggesting makes absolutely zero sense.

A more likely explanation would be that your player supports Blu-ray subtitles in an MPEG TRansport Stream (M2TS), but not in MKV (like some old A.C. Ryan devices). Or that it requires Blu-ray subtitles to be compressed when in an MKV container (like Western Digital's "WD TV").
Millenium

Post by Millenium »

my media player supports pgs format but not on mkv files. Does that make sense now?
In fact most portable media players wont.
I can in asking a simple question all I needed was a simple answer and yet I get high school drop outs talking shit.
my player came out in july last year its not exactly old
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

AlienFIrefox wrote:in fact media players never have had full support for subtitles because media players are a portable media device
So what? What has the one to do with the other?
Millenium wrote:my player came out in july last year its not exactly old
Tough shit being outsmarted by high school dropouts talking shit that still made sure their new players supported PGS subs in mkvs, eh?
Last edited by Chetwood on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Millenium wrote:my media player supports pgs format but not on mkv files. Does that make sense now?
Yes.
Millenium wrote:In fact most portable media players wont.
Not true, though plenty of the players that do support it have bugs.
Millenium wrote:I can in asking a simple question all I needed was a simple answer and yet I get high school drop outs talking shit.
my player came out in july last year its not exactly old
What player is it exactly?
Fawkes

Post by Fawkes »

hi,

@Millenium
if you look for help you may not insult people, most of them don't like it

maybe a small summary on sub's can help too

PGS (Presentation Grapic Stream)
consists in bitmaps (and the timeframes on which they have to be displayed)
same goes for "Sub", VobSub or Images Subtitles, just pictures that will be shown as overlay to the video, whatever the encoding or language was the player can only show a picture and knowns nothing about the content

SRT
It consists of four parts, all in text...When placing SRT in Matroska, part 3 is converted to UTF-8

SSA/ASS
stands for Sub Station Alpha. It's the file format used by the popular subtitle editor, SubStation Alpha. Like SRT, this format is text based with a particular syntax. All text is converted to UTF-8.

SMI
SAMI (Synchronized Accessible Media Interchange) is a Microsoft accessibility initiative released in 1998. The structured markup language is designed to simplify creating captions for media playback on a PC.
A SAMI file is a plain text file and therefore can be created or modified in any text editor. Its structure is very similar to HTML.
Millenium

Post by Millenium »

@fawkes they started on me first maybe you should tell them to back off huh. also i know what they do mate I just can't get them to work but as ramansh said its probably a bug. thankks for helping out though

@ramansh
its a Full 1080p 3D Media Center

I bought it off ebay if i copy blu ray files directly to it then the subs seem to work but not with mkv files. this is why i was hoping mike could add a conversion feature as some of us can't seem to use pgs subs. Infact a lot of people use utf-8 subs in mkvs that i have seen around the net.

@chetwood well einstein mike is planning to add this conversion feature in the future i asked him in a pm so there you go. obviously a smart person understands. cheers
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he'll put than can of worms on the top of his list to accomodate geniuses like yourself ;)
Millenium

Post by Millenium »

Chetwood wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure he'll put than can of worms on the top of his list to accomodate geniuses like yourself ;)
thanks for your lovely compliments, good to see you being so respectful and with absolutely no sarcasm much obliged my friend.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Millenium wrote:@ramansh
its a Full 1080p 3D Media Center
That sounds like:
- me: what car are you driving exactly?
- you: a V8 SUV.

What's the manufacturer's name? Model number?
Millenium wrote:I bought it off ebay if i copy blu ray files directly to it then the subs seem to work but not with mkv files. this is why i was hoping mike could add a conversion feature as some of us can't seem to use pgs subs. Infact a lot of people use utf-8 subs in mkvs that i have seen around the net.
Converting images to text involves optical character recognition which is a pain in the you-know-what to use.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Romansh, don't get too picky about the model number thing.... There IS a unit out there advertised as the "Full HD 1080p 3D Media Center", by a company called K3.

Web search shows it to be a discontinued unit, though. As such, software updates are problem lacking.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging