Can MakeMKV create ISO images from DVDs?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
MakOwner

Can MakeMKV create ISO images from DVDs?

Post by MakOwner »

Is there a command line function or switch that will cause MakeMKV rip and convert a DVD disk to ISO image, including all the menus and navigation? And on Linux...
Essentially a bit-for-bit copy less the rights restrictions?

If you really want to know whay I ask, I have been using dvdbackup to create mirror images of my DVDs for use with XBMC.
This passes the WAF because she gets the "extras" on the DVDs and it works just a like a real DVD -- menu and all.
More and more DVDs won't rip with dvdbackup -- you get read errors and it takes forever to skip all the intentioanlly corrupted crud on the disk and quite frequently this still results in a non-usbale image. My take is that makemkv is just smarter at skipping the usless junk on the disk than dvdbackup.

MakeMkv is my fall back for those DVDs, and it does create a nice single file for the movie that can be launched directly into the movie (which I prefer) but the wife wants those menus so she doesn't have to navigate XBMC and guess as to what each file might be.

Is there a way to do this?
Chetwood

Re: Can MakeMKV create ISO images from DVDs?

Post by Chetwood »

No, otherwise it would be called MakeISO. If you have problems with copy protections, why not use proper software to deal with them like DVDfab?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
MakOwner

Post by MakOwner »

I don't do windows.

What I'm really looking for is a way to store the mirror of the ISO less corruption but without any (further) conversion of the video/audio.
I do at times run conversion of one or two of them to another (smaller) format to take on the road with me, but I - at least currently - have plenty of storage at home to store full sized dual layer DVDs on my media server. I'm sticking with DVD quality at this point because of the size and quite frankly, our eyes are bad enough we don't see enough of a gain in resolution to counter the downside of storing BD size images. And storing the DVD keeps the menus and previews as much as that annoys me - but at least with the restrictions removed I can skip past them if the wife isn't interested in watching them.

So that's why - maybe I'm just backwards.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

It would appear that way. DVDfab also can rip main movie only to ISO, no ads, no FBI warnings, just the movie.
averylinden

Post by averylinden »

Sounds like you might be using Linux because you are using dvdbackup?

For dvds with lots of intentional errors, I use

ddrescue -n -b 2048 /dev/sr0 backup.iso

which works most of the time. If you want to remove copy protection you will need to process the iso file a second time.
kjhgshadow

Post by kjhgshadow »

Just use makemkv to create a decrypted backup which will retain all menus and special features. It will be just files but no iso. That file structure will work in XBMC but if you really want a single iso file just use any dvd burning software and output to a image file instead of a disc.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

kjhgshadow wrote:Just use makemkv to create a decrypted backup which will retain all menus and special features.
That is not something MakeMKV does with DVDs; it just does it for Bluray.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
captain

Post by captain »

This is something that MakeMKV *should* do! Now that the defunct MacTheRipper no longer functions on Mountain Lion there is no viable way of simply ripping a DVD. :-/

Maybe ISO'ing a DVD could be one of those Premium features you get for buying a license! :-D
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There are a number of "rip to unencrypted ISO" programs out there, both free and to buy. Even the ones that are for Windows will run in a Windows virtual machine on the Mac. I have one... but, I can't remember the name of it, because I haven't used it in over a year. Google came up with several when I searched.

Why should MakeMKV add in this functionality "just" to compete with other programs that are intended for the task?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

captain wrote:This is something that MakeMKV *should* do!
If it were called MakeISO, yes.
MakOwner

Post by MakOwner »

Woodstock wrote: Why should MakeMKV add in this functionality "just" to compete with other programs that are intended for the task?
It's just me, but I like to think I have computers and software to do what I want it to do.

I suspect that everyone else asking for this feature, like me, are working around the Wife/SO "acceptance factor" for handling of DVD/BD media.

I have built a file server that stores my media electronically.
I have built XBMC frontends to play that media onto the TV so that the wife and I can enjoy the content we have purchased at our conveniance rather.
One of the trade offs I have negotiated with the Wife is that if I maintain the backend for all of this, and the front end is easy enough for her to figure out, I don't have to replace the "Bridgette Jones Diary" and "Sex and The City" series DVDs every time she scratches them from leaving them lying about after playing the physical disks.
The physical disks and a player she understands. Easily. Selecting a particualr file from a folder she doesn't so much. She's picking it up, but I still have to do more complicated things for her.

That's a failry delicate balancing act, let me tell you.

Making those DVDs into just one big entity that acts pretty much exactly like the paradigm pf the physical disc that she is used to is a major plus for here. Click once, you gat a DVD menu.

She doesn't like Bluray just because when I rip it with MakeMKV, you don't get menus like with the DVD. We rarely get Bluray and other than Bluray rips, the the only other time I use MakeMKV is to rip a DVD if dvdbackup has an issue with decryption. (That's why you pretty much only see posts from me about issues with DVDs. :/).

Maybe we are just both old and stupid, but I like her and I'd like to make things easy for her, and conveniant for me.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

And what's so difficult about ripping and naming each ep properly?

SATC S01E01 - Sex and the City.mkv
SATC S01E02 - Models and Mortals.mkv
SATC S01E03 - Bay of Married Pigs.mkv
SATC S01E04 - Valley of the Twenty-Something Guys.mkv
SATC S01E05 - The Power of Female Sex.mkv
SATC S01E06 - Secret Sex.mkv
SATC S01E07 - The Monogamists.mkv
SATC S01E08 - Three's a Crowd.mkv
SATC S01E09 - The Turtle and the Hare.mkv
SATC S01E10 - The Baby Shower.mkv
SATC S01E11 - The Drought.mkv
SATC S01E11 - Oh Come All Ye Faithful.mkv

Beats diving into an ISO and browsing menus every time.
MakOwner

Post by MakOwner »

Chetwood wrote:And what's so difficult about ripping and naming each ep properly?

SATC S01E01 - Sex and the City.mkv
SATC S01E02 - Models and Mortals.mkv
SATC S01E03 - Bay of Married Pigs.mkv
SATC S01E04 - Valley of the Twenty-Something Guys.mkv
SATC S01E05 - The Power of Female Sex.mkv
SATC S01E06 - Secret Sex.mkv
SATC S01E07 - The Monogamists.mkv
SATC S01E08 - Three's a Crowd.mkv
SATC S01E09 - The Turtle and the Hare.mkv
SATC S01E10 - The Baby Shower.mkv
SATC S01E11 - The Drought.mkv
SATC S01E11 - Oh Come All Ye Faithful.mkv

Beats diving into an ISO and browsing menus every time.
Well, it doesn't really. The wife wants the menus. That's familiar and convenient for her - I have seen her break out a physical DVD over watching individual MKV files that I have already ripped for her. I can't bear the forced crap on most DVDs and the rip of a DVD ISO without all the restrictions is a good compromise for us.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Oh, she wants those pretty pictures? Get a player that has a media scraper then.
MakOwner

Post by MakOwner »

Chetwood wrote:Oh, she wants those pretty pictures? Get a player that has a media scraper then.
:roll: