Please help. VLC media player won't convert my mkv files.

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
meneeq

Please help. VLC media player won't convert my mkv files.

Post by meneeq »

Hey everyone, thank you in advance if you can help me. I recently got a bunch of my DVDs turned in to mkv files, and they all play just fine on my vlc media player. However, I'd like to convert them to mp4 so I can use them on other media players. I followed the instructions on several sites to convert them to mp4 files... But when I finish the steps and vlc is supposed to start converting, nothing happens. A few days back when I first tried it, the process started and it created a file, but the file doesn't work. Now, nothing happens, no error messages, nothing. Is there any one that can help?
Woodstock

Re: Please help. VLC media player won't convert my mkv files

Post by Woodstock »

VLC is a player. It is not intended to convert files from one format to another.

Handbrake (from handbrake.fr) is a transcoder that can convert from MKV to MP4.

Oh, and this site isn't the support site for either one...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Woodstock wrote:VLC is a player. It is not intended to convert files from one format to another.
Actually it can. Whether it's advisable to use in a case when you won't be using VLC to stream the output is another matter.
tvman802

Post by tvman802 »

Go Handbrake.
It does a great job and has some handy presets.
RichardFoster

Post by RichardFoster »

I spent a few hours tuning all the equipment but nothing worked. I already thought to give up this idea, but I realized that I just had an old version of this player installed, I just updated the version from this site [link removed] And after a few minutes of setup everything started to work and I'm very happy. I hope my experience will be useful to someone.

[non-official download sites can be dangerous]