Default Selection rules not working >v1.14.5 (Profile parsing error: default profile missing, using builtin default)

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Ponceby

Default Selection rules not working >v1.14.5 (Profile parsing error: default profile missing, using builtin default)

Post by Ponceby »

Ever since v1.14.5, every time I try a newer version, I get this error message on MakeMKV startup: "Profile parsing error: default profile missing, using builtin default".

Everything seems to work despite that error message, EXCEPT that MakeMKV then automatically selects every track in every language, instead of only those in my Preferred Language (English).

Because of this problem, I keep reverting back to v1.14.5, because it’s too much work to manually deselect every non-English language track, in every title, on every disc I want to rip. And whenever I revert back, MakeMKV starts up just fine, with no "default profile missing" error, and then properly selects only those tracks in my FavLang.

In Preferences > Language, I've made sure both Interface Language and Preferred Language are set to "eng : English". I've even tried going to Preferences > Advanced, and changing the Default Selection Rule many different ways, trying to force it to select only English, but MakeMKV seems to ignore everything I try. Most recently, for example, I set it to "-sel:all,+sel:eng,-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:eng". But in every version >1.14.5 MakeMKV continues to default select every language in every title.

It does the same whether Expert Mode is enabled or not.

Nothing I can see in any settings files seems to explain this difference in behavior in later versions (although ~/.MakeMKV/settings.conf continues to say it was written by MakeMKV v1.14.5, even after running any later version).

From my reading in the Forums, it sounds like this problem might be related somehow to custom conversion profiles, though I've never even tried to create one. I don't understand why MakeMKV thinks its default profile is missing when running versions >1.14.5, but finds it just fine otherwise, or why the builtin default later versions use instead doesn't follow your default selection rules (auto selecting only tracks with the Preferred Language).

Can anyone help explain this problem and how to fix it?

FYI, I'm running MakeMKV on macOS Sierra v10.12.6.
Woodstock

Re: Default Selection rules not working >v1.14.5 (Profile parsing error: default profile missing, using builtin default)

Post by Woodstock »

The default selection rule is no longer pulled from profiles. Rules set there will be ignored.

And, if you edited the default.mmcp.xml file to change it, you introduced an error in the file, causing it to not parse properly. You need an editor that is at least UTF-8 capable, and a bit of knowledge of XML syntax, or an editor that also can parse XML and tell you if it is correct or not. I work on XML files all the time, and a misplaced quote mark is enough to blow up XML parsing.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Ponceby

Re: Default Selection rules not working >v1.14.5 (Profile parsing error: default profile missing, using builtin default)

Post by Ponceby »

Thanks for the reply. But I don't think that's my issue...

I never edited or created a default.mmcp.xml file, so I couldn't have introduced an error there (though I do have appropriate XML editors).

Further, I gather such profiles were introduced around v1.7. So, if it were a problem with that file, it shouldn't work with v1.14.5—which it does—as well as not working with later versions.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Given the errors, it seems that parts of old versions of MakeMKV are present. Try installing 1.15.0 in a SEPARATE directory, and see if you continue to get the profile parse error. And make sure there are no .xml files in your MakeMKV data directory.
watchy

Post by watchy »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:26 pm
The default selection rule is no longer pulled from profiles. Rules set there will be ignored.

And, if you edited the default.mmcp.xml file to change it, you introduced an error in the file, causing it to not parse properly. You need an editor that is at least UTF-8 capable, and a bit of knowledge of XML syntax, or an editor that also can parse XML and tell you if it is correct or not. I work on XML files all the time, and a misplaced quote mark is enough to blow up XML parsing.
Any reason why the selection isn't pulled from profiles anymore? Whats the best way to deal with selection rules for audio tracks on a perm rip process using say makemkvcon? Modify the settings.conf each time?

Thanks!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I believe Mike said it was because of conflicts between rule sets. With multiple ways of specifying the "default rule", which should the program use when more than one is used?

There is also the possibility that it was because customized profiles could be overwritten if they were left in the program directory where the default profiles are,