Princess Bride 4k UHD (Criterion)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
rbkopelman

Princess Bride 4k UHD (Criterion)

Post by rbkopelman »

Bought at Amazon & ripped to mkv with makeMKV. Things seemed to go as planned. I noticed there were 3 files present: 1 file was smaller & appeared to be typical of smaller files that show up. However, the other 2 seemed to be full fledged full feature film. I expected just 1. The files sizes were not that different. Usually this happens when there are 2 different versions like a theatrical cut & a director's cut, but there is no hint of multiple cuts that I can find. Video & audio specs are identical, at least to Plex. They both register as 4h UHD, 2160 resolution

Anyone have a clue what the difference in these 2 files might be or why there should be 2 such feature length files?
Woodstock

Re: Princess Bride 4k UHD (Criterion)

Post by Woodstock »

Did the packaging say anything about "includes theatrical release", or similar? Was there a difference in run time?

I see this sort of thing on a lot of animated films, where one copy is for US-customers, with a "separate" Japanese version (same file, just different audio set as default). Not usual for English original movies, though.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rbkopelman

Post by rbkopelman »

The packaging said nothing about multiple releases, nor did the Criterion web site. I tried a google search which uncovered nothing. That is why I posted the question. It seems peculiar. The runtimes are exactly the same, at least as reported in Plex & VLC. One of the files is about 200k larger than the other, but at a file size of 60G, it would seem that this difference is nothing. The only included language (either file) is English. Aside from academic curiosity, I suppose I could use either one. Is it really worth my effort to re-rip the disc or order a new one? Just seems strange.
demon

Post by demon »

If you look at the title in MakeMKV, what does it say about the playlist and the streams? When I just put my copy in one of my BU40Ns and looked at it, it shows 3 items, one of which is 1.2 GB and 2 chapters, the others of which are the same stream, but one has the chapter metadata, while the other doesn't. I always use the one with the chapter metadata if available (it pretty much always is).
rbkopelman

Post by rbkopelman »

Yes, I checked that out with the same results. I decided to go with the chaptered version. Thanks for the tip.