I can see the files to The Dark Knight UHD disc, keydb.cfg

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
gleep52

I can see the files to The Dark Knight UHD disc, keydb.cfg

Post by gleep52 »

I just bought my first UHD disc from Best Buy. I have put the keydb.cfg files in C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\

I can open MakeMKV 1.10.9 and it detects the disc and label, sizes, etc... But when I click to open it, it fails that the volume key is unknown for this disc and it cannot be decrypted. I checked the keydb.cfg file and it shows keys in there for the dark knight already... so are there more than one key for the same movie? Are the studios actually releasing the same movie with different keys? Or did I just do something wrong?

Attached is the zip file of the AACS dump.
Attachments
MKB20_v61_01_The_Dark_Knight.tgz
(24.47 KiB) Downloaded 618 times
d00zah

Re: I can see the files to The Dark Knight UHD disc, keydb.c

Post by d00zah »

I believe the key file needs to be placed in the MakeMKV data directory (defined on the 'General' prefs tab)... default is:

C:\Users\[PCUserName]\.MakeMKV

and it's possible that the leaked key is for a different version of the disc?
starmax

Post by starmax »

d00zah wrote:I believe the key file needs to be placed in the MakeMKV data directory (defined on the 'General' prefs tab)... default is:

C:\Users\[PCUserName]\.MakeMKV

and it's possible that the leaked key is for a different version of the disc?
Correct, it needs to be in this folder and the file name needs to be KEYDB.cfg.

I was not aware of any leaked keys for the Dark Knight trilogy, are you sure it's an AACS 2.0 key?
preserve

Post by preserve »

I'm also not aware of leaked keys for these UHD discs.

I've also just updated the FAQ thread with info about how to check your own disc against known keys. Search the FAQ thread for "hash" and you'll see this info.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
mmmkv

Post by mmmkv »

There's a user named Relight on doom9.org who compiled an archive of leaked keys, however they added non-UHD keys above the much shorter list of UHD keys at the very bottom of the text file. Possibly this was because they wanted an archive of all keys posted in that thread prior, which were nearly all regular Blu-Ray keys.

It might be this version of the key list the OP used and thought the Dark Knight item listed was for the UHD version.
gleep52

Post by gleep52 »

So is there a list of JUST UHD discs so I can buy one for my testing purposes of ripping and playback methods throughout our house? Shame - I really was looking forward to The Dark Knight in 4K. :(
koenkooi

Post by koenkooi »

You can check if DeUHD supports it:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0.
It's not a 1:1 match, but I haven't seen a disc yet that had a VUK in keydb but wasn't in the spreadsheet listed as 'supported'. Spreadsheet was linked in the doom9 key thread.
mmmkv

Post by mmmkv »

gleep52 wrote:So is there a list of JUST UHD discs so I can buy one for my testing purposes of ripping and playback methods throughout our house? Shame - I really was looking forward to The Dark Knight in 4K. :(
Relight created a dedicated topic with a standalone zip of just UHD keys here, as the optional download link.

Since I use AnyDVD for the decryption part I used an alternative standalone list here (same titles just without the extra header/etc entries), however the attachment requires forum registration.

Keep in mind those are just the titles currently decryptable via the VUK key method supported by MakeMKV (and AnyDVD). There's another, more supported method that uses additional (and pricey) software called 'DeUHD' which has a larger range of supported decryptable titles. A user compiled and maintains a complete list of all supported VUK and DeUHD decryptable titles in this spreadsheet. I find it more useful than searching the VUK key list file since it has columns that label which region the supported discs were bought in, so users can be more sure the version purchasable in their region is the same one decryptable.
starmax

Post by starmax »

gleep52 wrote:So is there a list of JUST UHD discs so I can buy one for my testing purposes of ripping and playback methods throughout our house? Shame - I really was looking forward to The Dark Knight in 4K. :(
You can either take the file from the Doom forums and manually remove any entries that don't contain: AACS 2.0

or, you can copy the Keys that were added as Text posts (not downloadable files) in the last month or so and created your own file.
mmmkv

Post by mmmkv »

Just a follow-up @gleep52: within the last day MakeMKV announced a new MakeMKV-native UHD decryption key list, which happens to feature two versions of the The Dark Knight among the currently supported titles.

Unsure if it's the exact version you have but they've mentioned (in the same link above) users can now upload a special UHD disc file generated by MakeMKV to the devs and they'll look into it.

This is incredible news.
gleep52

Post by gleep52 »

YES THAT WORKED! Ripping now! WOO HOO!!