Unable to Use keys_hashed.txt File. What Am I Doing Wrong?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
BigPines

Unable to Use keys_hashed.txt File. What Am I Doing Wrong?

Post by BigPines »

I downloaded the keys_hashed.txt file and placed it in my .MakeMKV directory where my KeyDB.cfg is (and has been working). If I try to rip a disc with the KeyDB.cfg file in the dir, it works fine. If I take that file out and place the keys_hashed.txt in that directory, I can't rip any discs including the ones that worked with KeyDB.cfg. I am running v1.10.9.
Last edited by BigPines on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badnews

Re: Unable to Use keys_hashed.txt File. What Am I Doing Wron

Post by Badnews »

BigPines wrote:I downloaded the keys_hashed.txt file and placed it in my .MakeMVK directory where my KeyDB.cfg is (and has been working). If I try to rip a disc with the KeyDB.cfg file in the dir, it works fine. If I take that file out and place the keys_hashed.txt in that directory, I can't rip any discs including the ones that worked with KeyDB.cfg. I am running v1.10.9.

Learn to read English, Name the file "hashed keys.txt" without quotes and put it in the correct dir, I started converting it to another program and it worked sweet. But don't ask. Glad i'm a paid MakeMKV user it's been worth it since day 1.
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

I guess I should say thank for TRYING to help in your condescending a-hole way. Too bad the people with the biggest mouths usually don't know what the hell they are talking about. :roll:

I didn't read anywhere that said the file had to be renamed to hashed keys.txt to work. Since this tidbit was so obvious that you felt you had to insult me, maybe you could provide a link to these phantom instructions? Also, doing so made no difference at all. Discs that can be ripped using KeyDB.cfg still cannot be ripped using hashed keys.txt.

For anyone who would like to help in a civil way, I am using a Mac if that makes a difference.
ekpen49

Post by ekpen49 »

BigPines wrote:I downloaded the keys_hashed.txt file and placed it in my .MakeMKV directory where my KeyDB.cfg is (and has been working). If I try to rip a disc with the KeyDB.cfg file in the dir, it works fine. If I take that file out and place the keys_hashed.txt in that directory, I can't rip any discs including the ones that worked with KeyDB.cfg. I am running v1.10.9.
Please do not be offended. The response from that guy is rude.
Let me help you.
Just download the "keys_hashed.txt' file and place this in the makemkv folder. Nothing else is needed.
If your rip does not work, it may be due to the fact that your uhd may be from a different region.
I have makemkv for Windows and Ubuntu 17.10.
John Wick with version 1.10.9, failed to rip under Ubuntu, same with Expendables 3 uhd, and Now you see me uhd, but ripped under Windows.
Please do not give up.
Thanks.
George
Last edited by ekpen49 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badnews

Post by Badnews »

BigPines wrote:I guess I should say thank for TRYING to help in your condescending a-hole way. Too bad the people with the biggest mouths usually don't know what the hell they are talking about. :roll:

I didn't read anywhere that said the file had to be renamed to hashed keys.txt to work. Since this tidbit was so obvious that you felt you had to insult me, maybe you could provide a link to these phantom instructions? Also, doing so made no difference at all. Discs that can be ripped using KeyDB.cfg still cannot be ripped using hashed keys.txt.

For anyone who would like to help in a civil way, I am using a Mac if that makes a difference.

Starting from version 1.10.9 MakeMKV supports additional key format, called “hashed keys”. This format is superior to KEYDB.cfg file format, as entries are smaller, have integrity checking, much faster to verify and have few other good properties. The downside is that this file format is MakeMKV-specific, no other software can read files in this format so far. The same key can always be encoded as KEYDB.cfg key or as a hashed key, it is just that the latter is more efficient. Because both KEYDB.cfg and hashed keys are text files, the rules to use them are same – just download the relevant text file and put it into MakeMKV data directory. Having a disc key (encoded as KEYDB.cfg or as hashed key) allows one to open the corresponding UHD disc in MakeMKV.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopi ... 12&t=16959

Next time tell the entire story, Mind readers aren't found here what OS your using, MAC what's that a truck. That text file and the new version of MakeMKV work together. I like because it's prioritory to MakeMKV for now. So two other software vendors are out until they see how...But that's not your issue. Good luck a-hole. A Mac person will know now that you said after the fact what your using and no the file name isn't specific.
Last edited by Badnews on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
preserve

Post by preserve »

There is a new keys_hashed.txt file as of January 15th, so if you downloaded it yesterday, make sure to download the new one today. It has some corrections and also more discs.

The original filename from the download is keys_hashed.txt so you don't need to change it, just download it and put it into the MakeMKV data directory that is specified in your preferences.

Please read the stickied UHD FAQ thread. There is more than one key for each movie. If you see a movie in the list of keys but you can't open it, please submit the dump file to svq@makemkv.com. I don't think this is your problem, but I mention it just in case.

You mention that the disc works with KEYDB.cfg but not with the new keys_hashed.txt. In this case, please email svq@makemkv.com with the dump file and the specific disc(s) you are experiencing the problem with. This allows Mike to solve the problem for the next keys_hashed.txt update.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
TheShoe

Post by TheShoe »

BigPines wrote:I downloaded the keys_hashed.txt file and placed it in my .MakeMKV directory where my KeyDB.cfg is (and has been working). If I try to rip a disc with the KeyDB.cfg file in the dir, it works fine. If I take that file out and place the keys_hashed.txt in that directory, I can't rip any discs including the ones that worked with KeyDB.cfg. I am running v1.10.9.
assuming you didn't change it from the default, using MakeMKV on a MAC, go to: Preferences and then click on the "General" tab.

It will tell you where your "data" directory is. for example (this is the default):

/Users/[your username]/Library/MakeMKV

download the file and just drop it into that location. restart MakeMKV (assuming you have to do this; does not hurt) and you should be good to go...
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

Badnews wrote: Starting from version 1.10.9 MakeMKV supports additional key format, called “hashed keys”. This format is superior to KEYDB.cfg file format, as entries are smaller, have integrity checking, much faster to verify and have few other good properties. The downside is that this file format is MakeMKV-specific, no other software can read files in this format so far. The same key can always be encoded as KEYDB.cfg key or as a hashed key, it is just that the latter is more efficient. Because both KEYDB.cfg and hashed keys are text files, the rules to use them are same – just download the relevant text file and put it into MakeMKV data directory. Having a disc key (encoded as KEYDB.cfg or as hashed key) allows one to open the corresponding UHD disc in MakeMKV.

Next time tell the entire story, Mind readers aren't found here what OS your using, MAC what's that a truck
Hmmm, just like I thought...The English in that post does NOT say the text file must be renamed to "hashed keys.txt" in order for it to work. I suspect the name of the file is irrelevant so long as the extension is supported (.txt).

If you are on a technical forum like this and you don't know what a Mac is...oh never mind.
preserve

Post by preserve »

MakeMKV will likely find the file within some limits.

When I downloaded the original one yesterday, I added "180114 " to the beginning of the file so that I could keep track of the versions in my own archive.

When I copied it into the MakeMKV directory, I forgot to remove the date I had appended to the beginning... and yet MakeMKV still found it and used it on UHD discs that were not in KEYDB.cfg and were only in the new file.

The point is definitely that you do not need to rename the file - the instructions say no such thing, and it would be silly for Mike to be providing a download that required the user to rename it. There's no point to that, as it would just make the process more confusing and unnecessarily complicated.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

ekpen49 wrote: I have makemkv for Windows and Ubuntu 17.10.
John Wick with version 1.10.9, failed to rip under Under Ubuntu, same with Expendables 3 uhd, and Now you see me uhd, but ripped under Windows.
Thank you George. This is very valuable information. I suspect there may be some differences between the versions for different operating systems. I will try Windows and see if it makes any difference for me.
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

TheShoe wrote:
assuming you didn't change it from the default, using MakeMKV on a MAC, go to: Preferences and then click on the "General" tab.

It will tell you where your "data" directory is. for example (this is the default):

download the file and just drop it into that location. restart MakeMKV (assuming you have to do this; does not hurt) and you should be good to go...
Thank you. I have done this and it doesn't solve my problem. The KeyDB.cfg in that directory works fine. The keys_hashed.txt doesn't seem to work for the leaked keys which it should contain. It would be nice if I could figure out how to convert the hashed values to standard VUKs and just place them in the KeyDB.cfg file for now. I'll have to look into it.
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

preserve wrote:MakeMKV will likely find the file within some limits.

When I downloaded the original one yesterday, I added "180114 " to the beginning of the file so that I could keep track of the versions in my own archive.

When I copied it into the MakeMKV directory, I forgot to remove the date I had appended to the beginning... and yet MakeMKV still found it and used it on UHD discs that were not in KEYDB.cfg and were only in the new file.

The point is definitely that you do not need to rename the file - the instructions say no such thing, and it would be silly for Mike to be providing a download that required the user to rename it. There's no point to that, as it would just make the process more confusing and unnecessarily complicated.
Thank you preserve. I appreciate the kind help. I also agree 100% about the file name.
Badnews

Post by Badnews »

BigPines wrote:
Badnews wrote: Starting from version 1.10.9 MakeMKV supports additional key format, called “hashed keys”. This format is superior to KEYDB.cfg file format, as entries are smaller, have integrity checking, much faster to verify and have few other good properties. The downside is that this file format is MakeMKV-specific, no other software can read files in this format so far. The same key can always be encoded as KEYDB.cfg key or as a hashed key, it is just that the latter is more efficient. Because both KEYDB.cfg and hashed keys are text files, the rules to use them are same – just download the relevant text file and put it into MakeMKV data directory. Having a disc key (encoded as KEYDB.cfg or as hashed key) allows one to open the corresponding UHD disc in MakeMKV.

Next time tell the entire story, Mind readers aren't found here what OS your using, MAC what's that a truck
Hmmm, just like I thought...The English in that post does NOT say the text file must be renamed to "hashed keys.txt" in order for it to work. I suspect the name of the file is irrelevant so long as the extension is supported (.txt).

If you are on a technical forum like this and you don't know what a Mac is...oh never mind.

I was only kidding with you, I don't use Mac computers @ all, Those that do will know. And just download today's new file. If still problems on a Mac someone will know. But I assumed you were on WinBlowz. Every movie I hit it with worked fine. If there is a will there is a way so i'm more than sure it will work as long as you have the right movie ( That's in the TXT ) and drive. You can always get your own hash and compare to not waste time. But MakeMKV has secret magic inside like Intel say's also that's not in the txt file, That's what put's AnyDVD and DVDFab in diapers at the moment. Cheers
TheShoe

Post by TheShoe »

BigPines wrote:
TheShoe wrote:

Thank you. I have done this and it doesn't solve my problem. The KeyDB.cfg in that directory works fine. The keys_hashed.txt doesn't seem to work for the leaked keys which it should contain. It would be nice if I could figure out how to convert the hashed values to standard VUKs and just place them in the KeyDB.cfg file for now. I'll have to look into it.
interesting. i haven't tried on the Mac version yet. perhaps there is a defect in 1.10.9 for OS X. i've been using the windows version lately. once I have my USB enclosure for my UHD drive I'll also give it a try with my macbook.

you might also want to turn on debug logging in makemkv.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Interesting...
This should work everywhere (Windows, Mac, Linux) provided you have 1.10.9 . MakeMKV is very tolerant for file names - it checks for any file with extension .txt .cfg .htm .html, with any name and any case. In theory it should just work.