Is one HDR? Identical Playlists

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
KayakNate

Is one HDR? Identical Playlists

Post by KayakNate »

Been ripping a bunch of 4Ks. Some of a couple playlists, one being Japanese options and the other being other languages.

But at least one, my example being The Expendables 3, has two playlists that show exactly the same everything. I remember a couple that MakeMKV actually marked which was HDR and which was not. I'm wondering if one of the playlists on the Expendables is HDR and the other not, like has been the case for other movies, but MakeMKV can't tell the difference for that movie yet.

Ideas?
preserve

Re: The Expendables 3 Identical Playlists

Post by preserve »

Japanese thing explained here, I'm sure you saw: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16967

Hard to say without seeing the detailed info reported by MakeMKV for each playlist when you are browsing the playlists - there should be some difference. Unfortunately I don't have this title so I can't look at it.

Remember to put the title of the movie in the thread title - I think you might be able to still edit it. That makes it much more likely that someone who has this movie will read the thread.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
KayakNate

Re: The Expendables 3 Identical Playlists

Post by KayakNate »

preserve wrote:Japanese thing explained here, I'm sure you saw: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16967

Hard to say without seeing the detailed info reported by MakeMKV for each playlist when you are browsing the playlists - there should be some difference. Unfortunately I don't have this title so I can't look at it.

Remember to put the title of the movie in the thread title - I think you might be able to still edit it. That makes it much more likely that someone who has this movie will read the thread.
I did see the japanese explanation in the other post and appreciate that answer. This is different. The two titles are literally the exact same when expanded. Just English and Spanish in both. Makes me wonder if the only difference between them is HDR, but MakeMKV isn't detecting that difference and labeling it for me as it did with the other one that had a non-HDR and HDR title.
Metallikahn

Re: Is one HDR? Identical Playlists

Post by Metallikahn »

My guess is that the video contains burned in subtitles at some point. Plays one video when it needs English translation/credits and the other when it needs Spanish. HDR is basically just Metadata that shouldn't really be adding all that much to the file size, let alone need a whole separate stream.

I could be wrong, but my money is on the burned in subtitle tracks.