opening previous encrypted back up

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
smartieyoung

opening previous encrypted back up

Post by smartieyoung »

I just wanted to ask a simple question I've got the hashed keys and ive put it in the make mkv data directory, i know how to do that i just don't seem to have any idea on how to open a previous encrypted back upd of several of my UHD discs.

any help would be appreciated.
TeddyRaspin

Re: opening previous encrypted back up

Post by TeddyRaspin »

It would be better to create again a decrypted ISO (if you're lucky with supported title inside the hashed keyfile) from the original bluray,
but if you want to speed up ripping process, as you already have a protected ISO, you can simply mount it on a virtual drive (I suggest
you Daemon Tools Lite virtual device) and select that unit under MakeMKV device selection list.

You will notice several SCSI communication errors, but the only thing you need is to wait 1 or 2 mins at max, in order to allow MakeMKV
to load the needed keyhash for decrypting titles and starting the ripping process. :wink:
preserve

Post by preserve »

File menu, first option - Open files

Then select the discatt.dat file in your backup directory.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

In order to load the discatt.dat file he needs to decrypt disc first. If you open a protected ISO that file is not inside it.
preserve

Post by preserve »

smartieyoung never said they were using an ISO.

smartieyoung said they were using a "backup."

In the context of MakeMKV, I would assume first that it's a disc "backup" created by MakeMKV.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

My apologies for the misunderstanding. :(
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

i just wanted to let the forum know I solved the problem I had with the backups.
i decided to take a new approach and I deleted the old backups and made new decrypted copies with the hashed keys just fine.
The only thing that was a a problem was a hash check failure on 1 file on both John Wick 2 UHD and Dunkirk UHD but makemkv said 99.9% was correct and I could get the main file to play just fine.
I read the make mkv help file on hash check failure and it indicated it was a drive problem but I haven't really had any serious issues with this new drive so who knows but I'm happy everything appears to be working.Again thanks to the forum for your suggestions they really helped out.

Smartieyoung
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

I got storks Uhd to rip with no problems,while cars 3 has hash errors i imagine I have a bad disk so I'm ordering another off amazon.hopefully that will solve the problem.I did notice however when I looked to see if other people had similar issues i saw many who have issues.glad its not just me. 8)
inge4711

Post by inge4711 »

I am new in this forum and have a backup problem, too.
I use an ASUS BW-16D1HT and the new version of makemkv 1.10.10 + keys_hashed.txt (18.1.) in the data directory.
MakeMKV decrypted the UHD very well. In the next step I want to test the back up feature of MakeMKV.
I backuped the same UHD with MakeMKV without decryption and without any problems.
When I try to decrypt the UHD with File / Open / discatt.dat MakeMKV reports that the volume key is unkown and the UHD cannot decrypt.
Please give me a hint, what I make wrong.
Thanks in advance.
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

I finally got all of my UHD disks to copy correctly in make mkv .The process I used was I removed the 1.0.1.0.9 completely I mean everything make mkv then I downloaded the newest version and I installed it and re downloaded the latest hashed key file and closed make mkv.After doing these steps I power cycled my computer and my bluray drive and then I was able to get everything working.It really was trial and error until I figured it out.

I was really satisfied with make mkv after this so I went and bought a license to show my support,