A good movie player for windows PC For UHD

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
smartieyoung

A good movie player for windows PC For UHD

Post by smartieyoung »

Hi I just wanted to get A general sense of what "good" media player on my windows pc I have windows 10 latest build, I have I think the standard intel graphics drivers I. I have a 2TB hard drive 8 GB of DDR 3 Ram I also have a Super DVD Drive along with my UHD friendly Drive BE16NU50 and I have an integrated LAN wireless and Bluetooth compacity and finally but not last a HDMI Port on the back side with USB 3.0 .Given this Setup I have tried VIC and I've also tried MPE player and it shudders and pauses for a few seconds as the movie plays and the audio does the same thing. What are good options that I should look into?

Thanks for any responses
preserve

Re: A good movie player for windows PC For UHD

Post by preserve »

Are you looking to play UHDs off disc on your PC or are you talking about playing the MKV files?

Have you tried https://mpv.io or https://mpc-hc.org as per the FAQ?
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
mmmkv

Post by mmmkv »

Whatever video player supports alternative video renderers so it can use MadVR, which has settings independent of the player. Many enthusiasts use MPC-HC as such a player. Personally I use PotPlayer with MadVR set as the video renderer. Since I have a non-HDR monitor I then can set MadVR to handle HDR tonemapping from HDR to SDR.

Not sure if you also have a discrete graphics card but it may be your CPU alone mightn't be able to handle HEVC (h.265) + HDR + downscaling (unless you have a 4K display), which may be causing the playback stuttering. Looking at the general usage during playback my GPU (that lacks native 10-bit decoding) is around 21%, while my older CPU is between 70-90%.
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

smartieyoung wrote:Hi I just wanted to get A general sense of what "good" media player on my windows pc I have windows 10 latest build
My Samsung TV will play straight UHD MakeMKV rips through the USB port. They are not "pale" but not HDR10 either. If you process the MakeMKV files with Handbrake in H265 10 bit, the standard Windows 10 player "TV and Movies" tries to give an HDR picture.
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

thanks for the replies,i think my problem is now solved I was mainly looking to watch the movie on my computer.I decided though after much thinking to run my MKV file though wonder share ultimate and i was able to convert the MKV file into a 4k mp4 with a drastically reduced file size about 13gbs.The Movie plays fine now and I feel as though I learned something new and cool to do.

smartie young
flashback8

Post by flashback8 »

I use MPC-BE and VLC 3.0 nightly builds. I kinda prefer MPC-BE but VLC should be a good contender once it stabilizes for the final release.