'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR'?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
montoblan

'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR'?

Post by montoblan »

Hi all.

I have half a dozen UHD discs that have all ripped fine, and one that refuses to even open, with the the log output below. To clarify, this isn't during the ripping process, this is the initial attempt to open the disc.

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.12.0 win(x64-release) started
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00' at offset '524288'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00' at offset '1048576'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00' at offset '32768'
Again, I've ripped several other discs without issues, it's just this one giving me trouble. Also, it's not this particular copy of the disc, either: I thought the disc might be defective, so I returned it for another, and the second has the same behavior. I'm pretty sure there's no damage to the disc - I literally took it directly from the newly-opened package and put it in the drive. The surface looks pristine to my eyes, too. I've tried cleaning it anyway, with no luck. Interestingly, the offsets are always exactly the same, on every attempt, and with both copies of the disc.

My drive is an ASUS BW-16D1HT on FW 3.00:

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.00
Serial number: ************
Firmware date: 2115-11-03 11:10: 
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 63
Disc info comes up as:

Disc Information
Data capacity: 85.61 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 3
Not a lot to go on there.

Anyone have any ideas what may be going on here? (And any suggestions to fix it?)
tvguy7

Re: 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR'?

Post by tvguy7 »

That looks like a decryption error. What movie is this? Is it listed in the hashed keys file? Even if it is, it could need a different key.
It looks like the drive can't read the disc. I have the same disc drive and have received some errors related to being able to read the disc. One disc had a small scratch at the edge of the disc and I received the below error. I was able to get a new version of the disc and it was fine.

Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00' at offset '524288'
rivey

Post by rivey »

tvguy7 wrote:That looks like a decryption error. What movie is this? Is it listed in the hashed keys file? Even if it is, it could need a different key.
It looks like the drive can't read the disc. I have the same disc drive and have received some errors related to being able to read the disc. One disc had a small scratch at the edge of the disc and I received the below error. I was able to get a new version of the disc and it was fine.

Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00' at offset '524288'
The first thing that I do now on older and new discs is to clean them with a 50/50 solution of water and rubbing alcohol in a small pump bottle and a micro fiber cloth. Gets them clean and can solve some problems. You would be surprised what is on a brand new disc. That is the first thing that I would do. Good luck and let us know what is happening.
montoblan

Post by montoblan »

tvguy7 wrote:That looks like a decryption error.
Maybe? Looks to me like it's before it even gets to the point of trying to decrypt it, though I can't say that for sure. It doesn't make a dump file, FWIW.
tvguy7 wrote:What movie is this?
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
tvguy7 wrote:Is it listed in the hashed keys file? Even if it is, it could need a different key.
The movie is, with two keys, but I have no idea whether this disc is one of those keys. It doesn't get far enough to make a dump file.
tvguy7 wrote:It looks like the drive can't read the disc. I have the same disc drive and have received some errors related to being able to read the disc. One disc had a small scratch at the edge of the disc and I received the below error. I was able to get a new version of the disc and it was fine.

Well, as far as I can see the disc is completely clean and undamaged, though it's possible I'm missing something. I've tried cleaning it anyway, same thing. And this is already my second copy of the disc, and both copies have done the same thing, even down to the exact same offset numbers.

Though, talking about the drive being unable to read it - that does kinda make me wonder if it'd be worth trying to get a different friendly drive to try to read it and compare what happens there... Not an inexpensive experiment, though...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Hardware time-outs do not have to do with decryption. Something has caused the drive to become unresponsive, usually related to the disk itself, but sometimes related to hardware (USB drives can run out of power when they go fast, but that error usually is different).

From my experience, the drive has decided to keep trying to read a sector that it couldn't read, and so it ignores calls from the operating system to report its status.... which then time out.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
montoblan

Post by montoblan »

Woodstock wrote:Hardware time-outs do not have to do with decryption. Something has caused the drive to become unresponsive, usually related to the disk itself, but sometimes related to hardware (USB drives can run out of power when they go fast, but that error usually is different).

From my experience, the drive has decided to keep trying to read a sector that it couldn't read, and so it ignores calls from the operating system to report its status.... which then time out.
I don't *think* it's the disc in this case, unless it's some manufacturing defect that would affect multiple copies of the disc in the same way (but that's certainly possible.)

Not USB in this case but SATA, so dunno if there's anything there.

Saw the FAQ link in your sig, turned on debug logging and sent it to the support email, hopefully there's some helpful info there. (Looked like the exact same log output I've been seeing, plus error codes at what I'm assuming are obfuscated source locations, so I dunno if there's any point to post that debug log here as well.)
B17NNS

Post by B17NNS »

Having the exact same issue with the exact same movie.

Brand new disc fresh out of the cellophane, surface of the disc not touched once.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Pretty much every single UHD I've bought had to be cleaned right out of the box. Failing to do so brings up many errors. After cleaning, all of them have been read fine. I don't know what they're putting on these discs these days but it's almost like an oily film that builds up inside the package. They are very sensitive.
keithl

Post by keithl »

What is best way to clean a disc? Mine is a rental UHD disc it looks goo I have wiped it down, but same issues, in same spot early on about 300MB in.
TC3263827

Post by TC3263827 »

I created an account on the forum just to say THANK YOU for the cleaning tip. I have a copy of The Fifth Element 4k UHD from the UK that wouldn't read in either of my drives that haven't had any problems before. The disc was brand new and clean but failed to load in either drive. I tried the 50/50 alcohol + water trick and it worked! I'll definitely remember that tip!
nvader2000

Post by nvader2000 »

Yup, been there, done that. Miami Vice on Blu-ray. Second copy of disc, cleaned after opening, and bought a second drive. The first one was a supported LG drive and the second one is a supported Pioneer. same error on both drives and both discs. Also, I tried a different computer. Same error.
skluttrell

Post by skluttrell »

Same issue on Ernest Goes to Camp / Ernest Scared Stupid / Ernest Goes to Jail (Triple Feature) DVD. It only happens on the Scared Stupid DVD. I also thought it was a manufacturing error so I returned it and got another copy. Both copies give the same error. I tried it in an actual DVD/BR player on my TV and it worked fine on that. The other disk works fine in MakeMKV. VLC also won't work with it so I don't think it's an MakeMKV problem. It's something else.
morty427

Post by morty427 »

Was this issue ever resolved? I am seeing the same error as the original poster for my Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 4K Ultra HD disc. This happens when disc is being scanned when MakeMKV is launched (and the disc is in the drive).
002003:0000 Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-XD07U 1.03 ALDL010663UC' at offset '524288'
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

morty427 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:11 pm
Was this issue ever resolved? I am seeing the same error as the original poster for my Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 4K Ultra HD disc. This happens when disc is being scanned when MakeMKV is launched (and the disc is in the drive).
002003:0000 Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-XD07U 1.03 ALDL010663UC' at offset '524288'
Those errors typically mean there's a spot on the disc the drive can't correctly read. The standard advice is to gently clean the disc and try again.