unhandled extension 3.5

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
carvers

unhandled extension 3.5

Post by carvers »

Has anyone successfully used HandBrake to encode a UHD rip? All my rips seem to succeed--the rip completes, no errors logged--but every time I try to encode with HandBrake--even something as simple as listing the titles--HandBrake chokes with "mpls_parse.c:983: _parse_mpls_extension(): unhandled extension 3.5".

I've opened an issue with HandBrake about it, but I've traced down the code, and it looks like it's actually a libbluray issue. But I'm having trouble believing that libbluray can't play UHD discs, because I've seen so many reports to the contrary. I'm trying to narrow down if this is an issue with funky ripping/decrypting, or if the encoder just legitimately can't handle UHD Blu-rays yet.

For reference, I'm going from disc -> decrypted backup with makemkvcon -> encoding with HandBrake. I'm using an LG WH14NS40 (SVC code NS50). If I rip to an MKV file, I can play it. Any pointers, input, advice, or suggestions would be super appreciated. Also, if anyone knows what extension 3.5 is in MPLS files, even knowing that much would certainly help.

Cheers!
Woodstock

Re: unhandled extension 3.5

Post by Woodstock »

You can have MakeMKV open the backup it created and then extract the titles as MKV files. That removes all the issues with handbrake needing to decode the structure.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
carvers

Post by carvers »

I did notice that, but that forces the workflow to be either:

1. Create a decrypted disc backup with makemkv when ripping the disc
2. Decide which title is the correct one, and use makemkv to extract it as an mkv
3. Transcode it using HandBrake

or

1. Select the title when decrypting and ripping the disc, and only rip that title
2. Transcode it using HandBrake

Both of which aren't as ideal as what I had working for non-UHD Blu-rays, which is

1. Create a decrypted disc backup with makemkv when ripping the disc
2. Transcode it using HandBrake

Because the first alternative has an extra step that takes some time, and the second requires me to figure out which title is right at rip time, when usually I rip in a bunch of discs, then process them in bulk.

Not the end of the world, but I am looking forward to getting it fixed.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, but.... There are advantages to a workflow of always using MakeMKV's open/make MKV functionality, vs. Backup->handbrake. Number 1 is that you don't have to change your workflow if you're dealing with a DVD as a source (MakeMKV doesn't do "backup" for DVDs).

Personally, the ONLY time I use the Backup method in MakeMKV is when I was either testing something I'd read here, or Mike recommended it for working around a problem I'd had with a particular disk.

For me, MakeMKV has been better at picking out "the right playlist" on BDs than handbrake, for example. And I can use tools that aren't BD-structure-aware to quickly review the language audio/subtitle combinations on titles, so I can place them in the correct order in handbrake.

As for bulk processing, since I deal with a lot of episodic titles, a 42-disk marathon like I did a few weeks ago (wanted to "fix" how I'd dealt with subtitles and interlacing on some old series) using backup would have been a real pain, since the title numbers of the tracks was not consistent between disks. But the names of the MKV files were, because I used the magic of Expert mode to apply proper names during the rip. After that, editing batch files to control handbrake's CLI was trivial.

The problem with UHD disks, though, is that some drives have a timing issue - if you let them spin down while you make selections, they won't restart. That's where kicking in backup mode speeds things up considerably. But I'd still use MakeMKV to convert the backup to MKV files before feeding them to handbrake, simply to maintain MY usual work flow.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Woodstock wrote:The problem with UHD disks, though, is that some drives have a timing issue - if you let them spin down while you make selections, they won't restart.
That was fixed two versions ago - MakeMKV sends "please be awake" commands to the drive in order to prevent it going to sleep, if UHD media is inserted. Ugly, but working workaround. You may take all your time making selections :)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Nice to know... I only have one UHD disk, so it hasn't been an issue for me.