Most Friendly of the Friendly Drives

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
quasar51

Most Friendly of the Friendly Drives

Post by quasar51 »

I went to great lengths to purchase a UHD-friendly external drive off of "https://www.deuhd.ru/supported.html". I say "great lengths" because all of the electronic stores in the US were out of this particular model, or weren't carrying it any more, so I finally found a shop in the UK and had it sent to me (which took eight weeks). At any rate, I have not been able to successfully rip any of the UHD discs I have (Greatest Showman, The Last Jedi, and the Black Panther). They all decrypt fine and the ripping starts, but at some point into the rip (usually 1/2 or 1/3 into the process), I start getting hash errors. And the official hash error page points to a failing drive. I don't know how that can be though, because the drive works just fine (plays and rips bluray discs without problems).

So, is there someone who can say that they've been successful in ripping ALL of their UHD discs the've tried? If so, what brand/model of friendly drive to you have? (Mine is an LG BE16NU50)
Deano86

Re: Most Friendly of the Friendly Drives

Post by Deano86 »

quasar51 wrote:I went to great lengths to purchase a UHD-friendly external drive off of "https://www.deuhd.ru/supported.html". I say "great lengths" because all of the electronic stores in the US were out of this particular model, or weren't carrying it any more, so I finally found a shop in the UK and had it sent to me (which took eight weeks). At any rate, I have not been able to successfully rip any of the UHD discs I have (Greatest Showman, The Last Jedi, and the Black Panther). They all decrypt fine and the ripping starts, but at some point into the rip (usually 1/2 or 1/3 into the process), I start getting hash errors. And the official hash error page points to a failing drive. I don't know how that can be though, because the drive works just fine (plays and rips bluray discs without problems).

So, is there someone who can say that they've been successful in ripping ALL of their UHD discs the've tried? If so, what brand/model of friendly drive to you have? (Mine is an LG BE16NU50)
That drive should be fine .... if.. it is on firmware 1.01... NOT 1.02. Check the label on the bottom of the drive. Not sure if it would make a difference being that you purchased it from the UK? Otherwise, many have observed how sensitive some drives are to any sort of contamination that may be on the read surface of 4k discs.. and have had luck simply cleaning the read surface of problem discs with soap and water or in some cases even .. .exchanged them back to the store where purchased.

I have had perfect success so far using this internal LG WH16NS40 from Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-WH16NS40-Su ... 2749.l2649 .... (BTW, seller guaranteed that I would indeed receive the item in the listing photos and I got it in 2 days!) with a Nexstar DX USB 3.0 housing.
caleyd

Post by caleyd »

Try unplugging all USB attached storage while ripping. I had these errors and unplugged my USB 3.1 hub and the errors stopped. Just a suggestions.
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

Just buy asus drive and be done with it. This is why recently russian program de%+* packages asus drive. I own asus drive and never had a problem. Im probably the only one running 3.00. I wont even update to any newer firmware... If it is not broken dont try to fix it.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

gereral1 wrote:Just buy asus drive and be done with it. This is why recently russian program de%+* packages asus drive. I own asus drive and never had a problem. Im probably the only one running 3.00. I wont even update to any newer firmware... If it is not broken dont try to fix it.
I've bought and resold at least 25 ASUS BW-16D1HTs, all with 3.00. Definitely do not upgrade it just run it and enjoy.

As for the ASUS being the king I highly disagree. The LG-BH16NS40 (the retail packaged version of the WH16NS40) is the best drive I've used, and I have had over 200 (ASUS, LG WH and BH) units pass through my hands in the past 4 months.

Anyone who does not want to go to great lengths for a factory original "UHD friendly" drive is welcome to email me, alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com, and I'll hook you up.
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

Asus is good drive.....
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

Kinda worried if I tell people where to get this splitter. Think they would close down the seller like they did the first splitter that really stripped hdcp. 5 million fine.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Then stop posting about it for goodness sakes :-)
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

jonghotti wrote:Then stop posting about it for goodness sakes :-)
True.....just bored today lol
quasar51

Post by quasar51 »

Thanks everyone for your input. It looks like my best bet it to try and sell my current unit and purchase either the ASUS BW-16D1HT (lowest price I've found is $76.49) or the LG-WH16NS40 (or LG-BH16NS40) for $55.89.

You guys are great.
quasar51

Post by quasar51 »

Just wanted to give a big thanks to Alex (user: jonghotti) for down-flashing the firmware to a friendly level on my ASUS drive! Quick and professional and the drive works great.
Thank you sir!