Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
DylanValenti

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by DylanValenti »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:50 am
DylanValenti wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:37 am
@reset how did you generate rpu for films with variable l5 like oppenhiemer? I have a custom file with variable l5, but I thought the cm analyze dolby algo could not do this and it needed to be done with resolve?
Did it in Resolve.
I see. I thought your RPUs with the tag "Generated" used cm analyze though?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

No, since Resolve now also has the Ll1 tunning, there's no longer a difference with CM, so there's no need to separate them and the tag ''generated'' means CM or Resolve as it says in the folders explanation:

ajlueke

Post by ajlueke »

Hello.

New to this whole thing. I have been ripping my personal movies with makemkv for over a decade now, and recently upgraded to a 4K HDR capable TV. So I have been looking to upgrade my private Blu-ray collection to HDR. How does Davinci Resolve compare to something like Tekno3D to create an HDR10 mkv from an mkv rip?
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

What is 'tv-led' exactly?
skull88

Post by skull88 »

@kazuma, simple answer is that true TV-led means basically passthrough essentially, and the TV does all the processing for Dolby Vision. Player-led or LLDV means the playback device does the processing and then sends the signal to the display. What's important to note is that TV-led is not always better in every scenario and can also be 'fake TV-led' where the playback device chipset still does processing of the DV metadata, even when seemingly in TV-led mode. Here is a video that explains it well, even though it's out of date in some respects now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_a77zJTrO4
susanstone2022

Post by susanstone2022 »

texwatson wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:21 pm
Found them! Thank you and also @RESET_9999 for making the files available.

I recently got an am6b+ and I'm very satisfied with the device, hope to get another soon. This prompt me to sell my Zidoos Z9X Pro and question whether to keep my Oppo clones. Wasn't aware but realize now that the Ugoos can't do DT P7 Fel, unlike the Oppo clones. I'm wondering, how prevalent are these DT rips? I don't rip my own Blu-Rays, I get what I find on usenet, are you guys aware if this type of files are often used in releases?
In my opinion, Oppo clones' only usage is to watch FEL DV. if I were you, sell while you still can.
texwatson

Post by texwatson »

susanstone2022 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:22 pm
texwatson wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:21 pm
Found them! Thank you and also @RESET_9999 for making the files available.

I recently got an am6b+ and I'm very satisfied with the device, hope to get another soon. This prompt me to sell my Zidoos Z9X Pro and question whether to keep my Oppo clones. Wasn't aware but realize now that the Ugoos can't do DT P7 Fel, unlike the Oppo clones. I'm wondering, how prevalent are these DT rips? I don't rip my own Blu-Rays, I get what I find on usenet, are you guys aware if this type of files are often used in releases?
In my opinion, Oppo clones' only usage is to watch FEL DV. if I were you, sell while you still can.
According to DMDreview's last video, they are still the best option to upscale lower resolution stuff, like 720p. They don't do CMv4.0 so for FEL DV, only if it's really the dual track DV. Still haven't made up my mind but yep, from a logical standpoint, doesn't make much sense to keep them.
sultanmehmet

Post by sultanmehmet »

Hey guys, a question about getting DV FEL to work on the Google CC TV 4K.

Yesterday after reading through this topic a bit I decided to try playing FEL files on my CC4K in Plex and had succes. I played RESET_9999's FEL test video ''This Device can Play DV FEL'' and it worked. Today I wanted to show my friend that it works who has a similair setup and it didn't work anymore.

Are you guys aware of any updates done to plex or android that makes the Chromecast TV 4K not play FEL in plex? It's very weird how in the timespan of 1-2 days it stopped working all of a sudden. Now when I try to play it, plex reverts to HDR10 and the screen is red with no text even though I did nothing to change it.

update 2 hours later: Me and my friend have been trying to get this to work without succes. When we have go to video settings on the CC4K and have 'match content' on, every FEL DV content falls back to HDR10. When we both have 'Dolby Vision Alwas On' set on it 'seemingly' works but doesn't. We get a red screen with no text. This leads me to believe that it is playing it in 'MEL-mode' so to say even though.

Another thing to add is that we got it to work in kodinerds v22.0. The test clip with the text works perfectly, but RESET_9999's other 2 ST DL DV FEL test videos, namely Halloween II and Minions Rise of Gru stutters/freezes and does not play fine (does appear to stay in DV picture preset and does not revert to HDR10).
I however have a mkv remux of ALIENS that I have confirmed as DV FEL (ST-DL, BL+EL+RPU Dolby Vision Profile 7) which plays fine in Kodinerds v22.

Very confused and ask you guys for help on the matter. Thanks!

I have a LG G3 and my friend has a SONY XG950. Both own a Google Chromecast TV 4K with the lastest version of Plex and Kodiners (22.0).
Last edited by sultanmehmet on Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Go into the Plex settings and make sure that ''force profile 7'' is enabled.

The Chromecast seems to have some EL/BL sync issues though. Check out this test file, there's is an encoding bug/artifacts in the HDR10 BL that FEL can fix but it doesn't work on the Chromecast. I also tried to let play Power Rangers till the end the indeed the ending credits text was white but looked slightly out of sync compared to my x800m2 and Ugoos.

comparison BL/EL: https://slow.pics/c/6AdFnUR2
TEST file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ir6r2D ... drive_link

EDIT: about the stuttering, try switching off the HW overlay in the developer settings
sultanmehmet

Post by sultanmehmet »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:11 pm

The Chromecast seems to have some EL/BL sync issues though. Check out this test file, there's is an encoding bug/artifacts in the HDR10 BL that FEL can fix but it doesn't work on the Chromecast. I also tried to let play Power Rangers till the end the indeed the ending credits text was white but looked slightly out of sync compared to my x800m2 and Ugoos.

EDIT: about the stuttering, try switching off the HW overlay in the developer settings
Bro, mad thanks man! It now works! I have NO IDEA why that settings magically turned itself off in Plex as I'm 100% sure I didn't turn it off myself.

Also tried to set HW overlay to off (which I have to turn on disable HW overlay ironically) but it didn't help the Kodi stuttering. But to be fair, I don't care about that anymore since the only reason I installed Kodinerds in the first place was because it wasn't working in Plex anymore. Now that it works in Plex I don't need to have it be working in Kodi too but thanks for the tip anyway!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Also tried to set HW overlay to off (which I have to turn on disable HW overlay ironically) but it didn't help the Kodi stuttering.
On my end, GTV PLEX is unwatchable when ''HW overlay'' is not disabled. Micro stuttering every 30 seconds or so.
Anime0t4ku

Post by Anime0t4ku »

sultanmehmet wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:24 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:11 pm

Bro, mad thanks man! It now works! I have NO IDEA why that settings magically turned itself off in Plex as I'm 100% sure I didn't turn it off myself.

Also tried to set HW overlay to off (which I have to turn on disable HW overlay ironically) but it didn't help the Kodi stuttering. But to be fair, I don't care about that anymore since the only reason I installed Kodinerds in the first place was because it wasn't working in Plex anymore. Now that it works in Plex I don't need to have it be working in Kodi too but thanks for the tip anyway!
I'm the friend sultanmehmet is talking about. Plex seems to "work" now except for the continious buffering I get with FEL DV movies (MEL seems to play fine, even with similiar file sizes and bitrates) however, I'm more interested in getting FEL to work with Kodi, disabling the hardware overlay doesn't seem to fix the issue for me. Any other suggestions ? Thanks in advance
Last edited by Anime0t4ku on Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

Can DL-DV added with a software update in the future on the ugoos (coreelec)? Or is the hardware of ugoos limited to support this?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

it already supports dual-layer DV...
kazuma wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:19 am
Can DL-DV added with a software update in the future on the ugoos (coreelec)? Or is the hardware of ugoos limited to support this?
foxbat

Post by foxbat »

kazuma wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:19 am
I believe the issue there is that Kodi simply can't handle multiple track playback. This is also why it can't play DV from a UHD ISO - it will only play the first track and fallback to HDR10. Doesn't sound like there's a lot the CoreELEC devs can do about that until support for playing multiple tracks is added to Kodi upstream.