UHD Folder backup vs mkv file

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Roscoe62

UHD Folder backup vs mkv file

Post by Roscoe62 »

Hi,

I'm storing all my UHD rips on my server (UnRAID) and stream via Cat6 to a Zappiti 4K HDR player - I know this unit won't do Dolby Vision, but I'll continue with it because PQ is SO much better than Shield.

Anyway, after reading many threads here, I thought I should try ripping to BDMV folder format instead of mkv file. However, when I tried this on LOTR Fellowship of the Ring - disk one - playback starts to choke within the first 3 minutes or so and continues - basically it's unwatchable. I re-ripped this same disk to an mkv file, threw that on the server and it plays without any buffering issues at all - I'd love to know why.

Is there a lot more overhead involved in playing back a UHD movie backed up in BDMV folder format as opposed to an mkv file? When creating the mkv file I do strip out all the Non-English language tracks, and subs (keeping only forced subs if required) but I didn't think that would make as much of a difference as I'm seeing?

It would be great to know conclusively what the cause of this issue is, but given how much time & effort might be necessary to narrow down the potential causes - even knowing where to start would be helpful!

Thanks!