Issue with John wick uhd disc.... first time doing this

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
All4dom

Issue with John wick uhd disc.... first time doing this

Post by All4dom »

I recently ordered an lg wh16ns40 uhd drive to get my toes wet with uhd. I have dvd fab & i packed the lg figuring i could also buy make mkv in case i have an issue. From all the reading i have been doing about this stuff i saw its not 100% smooth sailing. So I installed my drive yesterday & my first disc was john wick, which I got from best buy.

Well the disc is still being copied from about 1030 & right nownits at 87%. So when it finishes coping it will have taken almost 24 hours. This can't be right as it only took me about a half hour or so to do a blue ray. I purchased the drive from Amazon & dvd fab rolled back the firmware.

Once this is done incase gonna try a blue ray & go buy another uhd to see if i have the same issues. If so I will return the drive & buy one of the asus drives. I can also download make mkv to see if I have the same problem. I did read that sometimes the slow copying is because of a bad laser. If anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it as this is my first time.

Thank you
Dom
hitechrr

Re: Issue with John wick uhd disc.... first time doing this

Post by hitechrr »

I just made a copy of John Wick,1,2,3. I bought all of them from BestBuy yesterday. I have the same dive flashed to WH16NS60 1.02MK. It reads the disk around 8x.
All4dom

Post by All4dom »

Thanks for responding. I am resetting the drive right now. Going to try a blueray & see if that takes long.... if it does then this drive must be bad.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

guys never let any bluray drive try ripping for 24+ hours that will kill it very quick
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
All4dom

Post by All4dom »

Thank you for letting me know that. I hope I didn't kill it.
maonstad

Post by maonstad »

I'm using LG WH16NS40 patch to 1.02 (using Makemkv 1.02 patched). So far John Wick 4K chapter 1 (or first movie) will take 1 hr and 20 minutes (main movie only).
Just FYI! Also using Makemkv 1.17.5. I couldn't get the most recent update to work on 4K movies.

Edit: Actually it took only 45 minutes. The 1 hr 20 minutes was an aproximation when it first started. I'm amazed how fast it could rip through the main movie...

I now have 1.17.16 working now

Mark
Last edited by maonstad on Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
All4dom

Post by All4dom »

I think I figured it out. I tried s blue ray & no problem. Put john wick back in & same thing..... copying at a half a Meg. Every time I check in dvd fab, the uhd firmware tool, it tells me to download. It & i go through the firmware downgrade process & reboot but after the reboot when I go back into dvdvfab & check the firmware it tells me to do it again... like it's not holding the downgrade. Can I run make mkv with dvd fab? This is strange.
All4dom

Post by All4dom »

So I installed make mkv & tried to copy john wick & see if I had the same peinlem as I had with dvd fab and I didn't but make mkv gave me an error......the volume key is unknown for this disc, it can't be decrypted.

Could this be a bad disc? Make mkv couldnt copy it & dvd fab copied it at a half a Meg. I have no clue & I'll go buy another movie tomorrow & see if i still have any issues.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

All4dom wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:06 am
So I installed make mkv & tried to copy john wick & see if I had the same peinlem as I had with dvd fab and I didn't but make mkv gave me an error......the volume key is unknown for this disc, it can't be decrypted.

Could this be a bad disc? Make mkv couldnt copy it & dvd fab copied it at a half a Meg. I have no clue & I'll go buy another movie tomorrow & see if i still have any issues.
Make sure you have checked the box to allow MakeMKV internet access in preferences. Also, since you also use DVDFab, the recommended firmware for your WH16NS40 is WH16NS60 1.00. This firmware version reads faster than the NS40 firmware and also works with DVDFab.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
All4dom

Post by All4dom »

I checked & internet access is enabled but I believe the firmware is 1.2 & not 1.0 which is probably why it's so slow copying.