The Thing UHD

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
GunerX

The Thing UHD

Post by GunerX »

so I found an old post that said to send my .tgz to svq@makemkv.com to get a volume key to the HK, but that was many days ago (I think it was 4 days ago, cant remember now) and still nothing. do I just keep waiting? or is there something else I'm supposed to be doing?
Billycar11

Re: The Thing UHD

Post by Billycar11 »

GunerX wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:53 pm
so I found an old post that said to send my .tgz to svq@makemkv.com to get a volume key to the HK, but that was many days ago (I think it was 4 days ago, cant remember now) and still nothing. do I just keep waiting? or is there something else I'm supposed to be doing?
yeah takes anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks usually
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dorsman84

Post by dorsman84 »

I am new to this whole UHD disc backup thing but I got up and running with a flashed drive and I have been backing up my discs. Did about 10 in a row with no issues and then I went to backup The Thing and got the "volume key is unknown" error.

I searched around and as far as I can tell I am supposed to email my .tgz file to that address so I did that. But someone let me know if I am not going about this correctly.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

dorsman84 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:26 am
I am new to this whole UHD disc backup thing but I got up and running with a flashed drive and I have been backing up my discs. Did about 10 in a row with no issues and then I went to backup The Thing and got the "volume key is unknown" error.

I searched around and as far as I can tell I am supposed to email my .tgz file to that address so I did that. But someone let me know if I am not going about this correctly.
That's right. Eventually, the hashed key to unlock the disc will be available. You won't get a notification or anything, you'll just have to try to backup the disc again. It is considered good form to include the name of the .tgz file you emailed in. And, when it eventually decrypts for you, it is handy if you can post that your version is working.

Some UHD titles are encrypted with a single key. By that I mean all copies of the disc use the same key. Other titles might have more than one key, meaning one batch of discs might be encrypted with key A, another batch with key B, another with key C, and so on.
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

Did this ever work?

I'm getting the same error on The Thing as well. Is there a way I can check what versions have been submitted before sending my file?

MKB20_v76_The_Thing_2FCB.tgz
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

wesg92 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:08 pm
Did this ever work?

I'm getting the same error on The Thing as well. Is there a way I can check what versions have been submitted before sending my file?

MKB20_v76_The_Thing_2FCB.tgz
The only real way to check is if people posted on the forum the name of the dump they emailed in. In any case, it doesn't hurt to send in a duplicate dump.