Aliens 4K (Ultimate Collector Edition)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Stevelois

Aliens 4K (Ultimate Collector Edition)

Post by Stevelois »

Hello,

I try to rip the 4K and I have some issues.

My newly Aliens copy as been replaced today by another new copy but still unable to rip it. First copy, I was getting hardware errors that is why I asked for a replacement. With my new copy, I don't get any error while ripping except I receive a message that the rip as failed and there are no error? I can rip around 28 GB of the special edition, not interested to rip the Theatrical version.

I have other BD100 movies I riped without any issues and since MakeMKV doesn't display any error, I'm in the void.

THX in advance.

Last edited by Stevelois on Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
Billycar11

Re: Aliens 4K (Ultimate Collector Edition)

Post by Billycar11 »

Honestly with the situation of these discs this is going to go on for a while.
But use imgur for pics here.
This is the worst I have seen, worse Blackhawk down.
I would recommend pioneers but honestly this time the discs really are the issue.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

Yeah, look like a lot of people have problem to rip latest Cameron movies.

For pics, I must upload pics somewhere? The fils are below 100K so I don't understand why it can be attached. I didn't saw an option for imgur?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Stevelois wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:48 am
Yeah, look like a lot of people have problem to rip latest Cameron movies.

For pics, I must upload pics somewhere? The fils are below 100K so I don't understand why it can be attached. I didn't saw an option for imgur?
100k over time adds up alot you just go to imgur and paste the link here you can embed it to with the img code but you must link to pic only on imgur not the page
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

So I create a account and upload the pics in the OP :)
tokapaho

Post by tokapaho »

I had no problem with either of the Cameron discs. Made backups and then used Disk Utility to create iso file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maintainin

Post by maintainin »

Sucks so many people are having issues with these Cameron disks. I must be one of the lucky ones. I successfully ripped the special edition or whatever it's called from the Aliens 4K Ultimate Collectors Edition disk with no issues. I haven't tried any other Cameron movies. I'm guessing this probably doesn't make a difference, but was bought off Amazon.

Using a BD-RE WH16NS60 with version 1.02. Thing has been rock solid. I probably just tested the Gods.

It's been a while and can't remember which movie it was, but I remember having to return a disk 3 times once before I got one that would successfully rip. I think it was Avengers: Endgame but not 100% sure. Maybe someone with a lot more knowledge can chime in, but I think they just press copies of disks sometimes that these drives just don't like. It's odd though how they will play back fine.
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

What I noticed, is that, everytime it failed to pursue when 28 GB has been ripped and that correspond to the second layer of the BD100.

Look like the drive don't know where is the next information is located and just fail to go there. It seem like a "index" issue? The disk play well in my Panasonic 4K player and I can rip all my other BD100 without any problem.

So indeed, it is maybe a problematic batch of this first pressing. Since it is my replacement copy, I can't ask for another one and must return the first one first. I just hope it will be fix with the next version of MakeMKV...
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Do you have a different drive you can try? Often when I have a disc that doesn't work in a drive I get different results with the same disc in a different drive.
Stevelois

Post by Stevelois »

Nope, only 1 drive for UHDs. I use my older one for HDs. Indeed, I think it would be a good idea to buy another one.

I had another movie I tried to rip, a BD66 that time, it was hanging, was getting error reads. I ask for a replacement and the copy I received just worked fine. It look like there are some problematic disks lately.
frogurt

Post by frogurt »

SUMMARY: The first disc I ordered from Amazon errored out. The second disc ripped fine.

Bought the 4K UHD Disc from Amazon.

I tried the first disc 4 times and it always gave read errors. I even tried copying the entire disc locally first, which was successful but also gave errors about hashes not matching. When I attempted to make an MKV file from that local file, I got the same errors.

Had Amazon send a replacement, which worked fine the first time.
rkhollister

Post by rkhollister »

so I just received my copy from DiabolikDVD. Instead of using one of my Pioneer drives, I used my LG as a test. Both cuts ripped fine, no issues.

I have no idea what is going on with these discs but my copies of The Abyss and Aliens have ripped fine.
maczrool

Post by maczrool »

I had the same problems as many on here with the read errors. My disc had concentric scratches no doubt from the idiotic stacking they did. My Abyss copy did not seem affected and has no scratches. I decided to try polishing the disc with plastic polish as others have done and it worked the first try on both the Theatrical and the Special Edition versions. Before polishing, both titles failed twice in a row. I ordered a replacement but in light of this, I guess I'll cancel rather than having to potentially waste more time and polish on defective discs.
rkhollister

Post by rkhollister »

Well this is interesting - both versions ripped with no errors on my LG but the resulting MKV's have playback glitches on my Zidoo Z9X. It will play fine for several minutes and then either freeze or pixelate and crash back to the title screen of the film. I have tried 2 or 3 other existing 4K MKV's and they play fine as normal.

I am reripping using one of my Pioneer drives and see if the resulting MKV is different.

My Abyss SE rip played through non-stop fine (done with my Pioneer).

More later ...

UPDATE - Versions ripped on the Pioneer played perfectly, versions ripped on LG do not. Files are the exact same size. I need to do a checksum to see what's going on. WTFO?
uhdcanuck

Post by uhdcanuck »

These Aliens 4K discs from Amazon are driving me nuts. Really bad quality control issues for sure. My first brand new copy I received had that dreaded circular scratches on it... it wouldn't play or rip, so had to return it. Replacement copy seemed clean enough, but it had the exact same issues. (Strangely I didn't have any playback / ripping issues with the other James Cameron 4k Releases like Abyss, True Lies... All fine on my LG) I washed, cleaned the disc and everything. No go.

Ended up asking for a refund and ordered another brand-new copy. Now, this is a kicker, it came in with NO SHRINK WRAPs around the case (Instead it was in a plastic bag), NO Digital Code card, Main 4K Disc scratched to hell. They obviously sent me a copy someone returned already! (A used copy, if you prefer) How the heck are they charging me full price for an open-box item?? This is also going back. I am going crazy here. WTF is going on with these discs??