UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
alexcoluzzi32

Re: UHD drives

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

Last edited by alexcoluzzi32 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

nothing to see here.
Last edited by alexcoluzzi32 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonca

Post by gonca »

bad disc
try cleaning it
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

alexcoluzzi32 wrote:
May I have some real help with possible causes for these errors? I've got a stack of these LG drives I'm going through and have not had a lot of successes yet. I can't accept that a brand new drive could start failing this fast.
Please suggest best practices for troubleshooting this. The disc is not dirty but just in case I will open a brand new UHD title and put it directly into this drive after a reboot.

Thank you,

Alex
Have you tried other software (NOT MakeMKV) that can currently decrypt/rip UHD disc with these friendly drives?

Same or similar results?
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

Last edited by alexcoluzzi32 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgirot

Post by jgirot »

Hi everyone! I wanted to jump in here and report that I successfully cross flashed my LG WH16NS60 (fw 1.00, svc code NS60) using TeddyRaspin's instructions to a WH14NS40 fw 1.00

I haven't seen any other reports of cross-flashing this drive, so I wanted to make it known that it's possible. Also, it seems like supplies are drying up for the friendly drives, so there are alternatives.

I have ~10 UHD disks. I have not had any problems so far reading any discs, but when the laser seeks a lot the drive is noisy.

Hopefully, we will see some easier cross-flashing procedures soon. My motherboard made the cross-flashing procedure more difficult than it should be. Oh... and if you run dosflash.exe and your drive doesn't show, keep trying to run until it does. It can take a few times.
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

I typically clean my discs under running tap water and using some dawn dishwashing liquid on a soft microfiber cloth. Then dry them with a clean dry microfiber cloth by wiping them from the center hole to the outside radially but NEVER in concentric circles. Even with brand new 4K UHD discs straight out of the box, I've seen smudges .. probably caused by people in some foreign land handling them improperly in the factories where they are packaged.
Last edited by fljoemon on Wed May 02, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

Last edited by alexcoluzzi32 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

Last edited by alexcoluzzi32 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgirot

Post by jgirot »

alexcoluzzi32 wrote:
For real? What's the speed like doing a rip? As those drives are newer they seem a little bit more solid, but they're more expensive.

Oh and as long as I'm around, supplies are not drying up of friendly's, lol.
Yes, for real. I picked up the drive before anyone knew it would be a problem. Not exactly a brick, but I got it specifically for UHD discs. So I went for it and tried the cross-flash. No problems so far.

I haven't watched the ripping speed closely, but from what I've seen it's at least comparable to my other LG BD drive.

Sorry for the confusion about availability of friendly drives. Reading all the posts it seems like other people are having problems sourcing them.
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

alexcoluzzi32 wrote:
Under running water with soap? Wow! OK my friend, I will give that a try. Now when we say clean dry microfiber cloth are we talking this:

https://www.frys.com/product/6683994?si ... IN_RSLT_PG

or more like this:

https://www.frys.com/product/6927057?si ... IN_RSLT_PG

or this:

https://www.frys.com/product/4384485?si ... IN_RSLT_PG

I'm hitting Fry's right now and will return and put Revanant under running water with soap and wash that shit right off of Leo DeCaprio and the bear!
get the first one .. cheap and will suffice for cleaning any discs.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

fljoemon wrote:@Alex .. I typically clean my discs under running tap water and using some dawn dishwashing liquid on a soft microfiber cloth. Then dry them with a clean dry microfiber cloth by wiping them from the center hole to the outside radially but NEVER in concentric circles. Even with brand new 4K UHD discs straight out of the box, I've seen smudges .. probably caused by people in some foreign land handling them improperly in the factories where they are packaged.
I haven't had any issues with discs right out of the box but I did put in a brand new kid's movie for my son to see yesterday, was very very careful with it, played through in the UHD player connected to the TV exactly once. I try and rip it after that and it fails so I take it out and sure enough there's little dust particles on it.

My place is clean, I mean not clean room clean but I keep it tidy. Would I be safe using a can of compressed air to blow out the innards of the UHD player if I opened it's tray stuck the nozzle in? I mean gently I'm not going to blast the shit out of it.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

I'm nearing the cut off date where I'll have to return the extra drives I picked up. Anyone else who needs one please ring in. I'm not going to the competition's forums to sell these it's makemkv or bust :)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
lujan

Post by lujan »

alexcoluzzi32 wrote:
fljoemon wrote:@Alex .. I typically clean my discs under running tap water and using some dawn dishwashing liquid on a soft microfiber cloth. Then dry them with a clean dry microfiber cloth by wiping them from the center hole to the outside radially but NEVER in concentric circles. Even with brand new 4K UHD discs straight out of the box, I've seen smudges .. probably caused by people in some foreign land handling them improperly in the factories where they are packaged.
I haven't had any issues with discs right out of the box but I did put in a brand new kid's movie for my son to see yesterday, was very very careful with it, played through in the UHD player connected to the TV exactly once. I try and rip it after that and it fails so I take it out and sure enough there's little dust particles on it.

My place is clean, I mean not clean room clean but I keep it tidy. Would I be safe using a can of compressed air to blow out the innards of the UHD player if I opened it's tray stuck the nozzle in? I mean gently I'm not going to blast the shit out of it.
Thanks Alex, I finally got a drive that works with UHD discs right out of the box. My LG WH-16NS40 from Frys is working just fine and I'm currently ripping the first disc of Westworld UHD as we speak. Anyone have a cheat sheet for Westworld as there are twice as many files as there are episodes on this disc? There are 6 files in the 25 GB range and only 3 episodes so they may have the episodes on there twice for some reason?
paniyo

Post by paniyo »

This recorder is recommended for this program Buffalo BRUHD-PU3

In this page says that if Deuhd

Thank you