Converting UHD Friendly drive into UHD Real and viceversa

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Hi guys,

I've found a way to properly convert a UHD Friendly drive, into a UHD real one and viceversa.
In order to do it, a proper firmware dump of your unit is needed and to do that, you can follow
my guide linked HERE!!

List of UHD Friendly drives supported :
  • ASUS BC-12D2HT
  • ASUS BW-16D1HT
  • LG BH16NS40/NS55 (SVC Code NS50) (and similar devices with the same NS5x code)
  • LG BE16NU50 (and similar external drive with similar code)
List of UHD Real drives supported :
  • LG WH16NS60
  • LG BU40N
  • LG BU50N
  • LG BP60NB10
Required Steps :
  • A UHD Real/Friendly drive.
  • A valid dump (made with DOSFlash or devilsclaw's if supported by the tool).
  • DOSFlash modified version (which can be taken from my guide linked above) in order to erase and flash eeprom.
  • For external devices, you will have to unmount the chassis and connect drive to a sata cable and have a compatible motherboard.
  • Open the dump file and the firmware file you want to write on your drive, into the HEX Editor (I've used WinHEX).
  • Select hex range from 0x1E0000 to 0x1E84FF and copy it from the dumped firmware to the new firmware file.
  • Select now the hex range from 0x1E9000 to 0x1EBFFF from the dumped firmware to the new firmware file.
  • Select, at last, the range from 0x1F0000 to the end from the dumped firmware to the new firmware file.
  • Save all and now you will be ready to flash the new firmware on your device, using the DOSFlash modified version (DOS).
I think it is a valid thing to have the choice for a "friendly" UHD drive (which now is the best choice to decrypt UHD discs without any issues) or a "real" UHD drive, if and when
it will be needed the AACS 2.0 validation. :wink:

What I need

Please send me a valid dump of BU40N/BU50N/BP60NB10 devices if you have one of them. It will be needed for further testing purposes.
Thanks !!!
pimpinonline

Re: Converting UHD Friendly drive into UHD Real and vicevers

Post by pimpinonline »

This is awesome. I have a BU50N I will try to provide a dump for you in the next couple of days if someone doesn't beat me to it.
ImCoKeMaN

Post by ImCoKeMaN »

I see your list of supported drives and was wondering if it's exhaustive, or just what you have been able to test works. For example, what about WH14NS40? It's been reported as good if it has ns50 svc code. Also, is the difference with the svc code beyond something that can be flashed?
paniyo

Post by paniyo »

Hello
I have this unit purchased recently Pioneer Bdr-Xd07J-Uhd Portable
It could work or it is not friendly.
Thank you
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

paniyo wrote:Hello
I have this unit purchased recently Pioneer Bdr-Xd07J-Uhd Portable
It could work or it is not friendly.
Thank you
Ok. You need to STOP asking the same question over and over again across multiple posts when you have been given the same answer over and over again by multiple forum members.

NO IS NO! The list of friendly drives is listed here for a reason:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 16&t=16832

If it’s not on that list then NO, it’s not UHD friendly!
lthgpes

Post by lthgpes »

pimpinonline wrote:This is awesome. I have a BU50N I will try to provide a dump for you in the next couple of days if someone doesn't beat me to it.
If you can provide the dump it would be really nice, i have the same drive but because my bios doesn't support ide mode i can't do it by myself
ivoidwarranties

Post by ivoidwarranties »

Here's a dump of the BU40N (firmware 1.02) using DosFlash.
Attachments
BU40N_102.zip
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 774 times
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indyjoe1977

Post by indyjoe1977 »

ImCoKeMaN wrote:I see your list of supported drives and was wondering if it's exhaustive, or just what you have been able to test works. For example, what about WH14NS40? It's been reported as good if it has ns50 svc code. Also, is the difference with the svc code beyond something that can be flashed?
I have this drive as well. Unsure of the service code. I use it to rip my UHD discs. I have an Asus drive as well that I haven't tried. My Pioneer UHD drive got revoked.
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

Hello excellent folks on this and on the "100% Firmware Downgrade" thread. Thank you so much for your efforts.

I have a “UHD Real” LG WH16NS60 1.01 that I use with MakeMKV to rip my BR discs onto my NAS. I am trying to figure out if I should convert it to a “UHD Friendly” drive… assuming an IT buddy with BIOS skills and some old PCs in his garage could help me out, exchanging some beers for his weekend… or should I hang tight a while longer for a magical app that makes swapping firmwares easy… or, better yet, that let’s me use the WH16NS60 to rip UHDs as it is (given the right hashed keys for MakeMKV). I plan to upgrade from an Intel 4th Gen machine to an Intel 8th Gen machine this Autumn as well. And I understand that I could play the UHD discs with the WH16NS60. Not sure about with a WH16NS40.

Any updated advice? Perhaps I keep the newer drive and buy an older one for UHD ripping…

Thanks again

Note: If you are located within a ten-hour drive of any of the cities (in North America or Europe) that I visit regularly, I could bring my LG drive by for converting.
rivey

Re: Converting UHD Friendly drive into UHD Real and viceversa

Post by rivey »

If I were in your place, I think I would just buy a friendly drive even if the firmware needed to be downgraded. I suspect that at some point you will be glad you have that official drive. Just my two cents worth.
Ph886

Post by Ph886 »

Has anyone successfully cross-flashed a BU40N? I was able to cross flash 2 different firmware (WH16NS40 and BW-16D1HT), but neither would allow the drive to open. The drives were recognized correctly by all computers, it just would open. I have it flashed back to the original for now and its working normally, but was trying to get another drive to rip UHDBRs on. Thank you for any information you can share with me.
Ph886

Post by Ph886 »

Ph886 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:12 am
Has anyone successfully cross-flashed a BU40N? I was able to cross flash 2 different firmware (WH16NS40 and BW-16D1HT), but neither would allow the drive to open. The drives were recognized correctly by all computers, it just would open. I have it flashed back to the original for now and its working normally, but was trying to get another drive to rip UHDBRs on. Thank you for any information you can share with me.
just a friendly bump to see if someone knows what may be happening. Maybe @TeddyRaspin ?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Ph886 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:39 pm
just a friendly bump to see if someone knows what may be happening. Maybe @TeddyRaspin ?
it might be possible but no one that i have seen has posted about it. what firmware did your drive come with? is it like the wh16ns60 that 1.00 is kinda friendly maybe you can find a 1.00 for bu40n and it will work i wouldn't flash any non slim drives to it until further testing.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com