Fastest drive for ripping large collection

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Depechefan

Fastest drive for ripping large collection

Post by Depechefan »

Hi,

I have been looking at the friendly drives list to find a fast drive to rip my collection of 4k blu-rays. I don't see any that are significantly faster than around 1 hour to rip movies between 50 and 80 GB in size.
What would be the fastest one available today? Preferably an external drive

Thanks in advance
dcoke22

Re: Fastest drive for ripping large collection

Post by dcoke22 »

Multiple drives.

MakeMKV supports using more than one drive at a time. There's a preference called 'Ask for single drive mode' which lets you attach a particular instance of MakeMKV to a single drive. This way you can run two (or more) instances of MakeMKV at the same time and they won't interfere with each other.

Additionally, it has been my experience that some drives just don't like some discs. I have 3 different drives. When a disc doesn't work in my 'main' drive I try the disc in one of my other drives. Often, in a different drive, the disc works fine.

Lots of folks would suggest that getting successful rips more frequently and fewer failed rips is ultimately the fastest way, even if the more-frequently-successful drive rips slower.

Pioneer drives are held in high regard, as is the LG BU40N. Drives that would normally be 'internal' drives work fine in an external enclosure and connected via USB. All 3 of my drives are 'internal' drives and all 3 in external enclosures connected via USB.
outlier

Post by outlier »

I'm basically restating the prior post, but in my experience (which seems to fit what others have said) the LG drives are generally faster than the Pioneer drives but are more prone to having errors/issues with certain discs.

If I were to ask for an MakeMKV feature I'd like for better handling of errors. MakeMKV makes it clear when there's an error but doesn't really report if or how well it was able to recover from it. It's more common now for discs to come with a film or other splotches on them, so it'd be nice if MakeMKV had better handling for allowing us to eject the disk, clean it, and try to resume from where it left off -- at a basic level would be to only resume from the current drive, the next step would be a different drive.

Going a step further would be about actual damage on the disc and providing a way for people to help each other out with the missing blocks (e.g., a signature of the disc name/ID and missing blocks is generated and someone with the same disc can reply with some representation of the missing blocks).
audiom3

Post by audiom3 »

If you can't do multiple drives and are limited to only one, the best I own is an ASUS BW-16D1HT. This drive reads just about anything/everything and is as fast as any other drive on the market. It has become my favorite drive. It reads discs that my Pioneer BDR-S12UST fails on.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I disagree with the ASUS reading better than the Pioneer. Especially 3-layer discs >66GB. Makemkv can't do magic. If the hardware / firmware based reading of a drive can't fix the problem Makemkv can't do much. Therefore I recommend Pioneer. The error correction on those seems to do a better job.