Neither ASUS BW-16D1HT or LG WH14NS40 works (anymore)

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
nurodev

Neither ASUS BW-16D1HT or LG WH14NS40 works (anymore)

Post by nurodev »

Hi everyone,

I am very new here to the forums so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this or if there is a better place to share this, please let me know.

Back in 2019 I bought an ASUS BW-16D1HT & after flashing it it worked fine. However a few years later I came back to try it again & it didn't work anymore. MakeMKV would just hang when trying to open the disc.

I assumed the drive was broken / not supported anymore or something & bought a new LG WH14NS40 from Amazon, flashed it using the "Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023" thread as a guide but got the same issue. I even restored to trying the `makemkvcon` CLI but still no dice. Instead I got the following error(s):

Code: Select all

DEBUG: Code 3 at ...
005010:0000 Failed to open disc
I do of course have the full log that I have seen some others say send it to an email & they will look into it for you but I wasn't sure if that was legit / still an option or not.

Having flashed & checked both drives firmware they seem to match all the requirements in the flashing guide thread (MT1959, latest firmware version for that drive, etc), the only thing that seemed "wrong" was when using the SDF GUI, the "Encryption" option was an X not a checkmark for both drives?

Is there something (obvious) I am doing wrong here? Is it possible that both drives don't work? Did I maybe do something wrong when flashing the drives? Should I maybe submit my logs to that email I heard about?

TLDR; Asus drive used to work. Now doesn't. Bought a new LG one, flashed it. Still doesn't work. Getting `Failed to open disc` error.