Good cost efficient start to Blu Ray rip

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Spermy permy

Good cost efficient start to Blu Ray rip

Post by Spermy permy »

I am starting to rip media because we pay for media we never can own. I've done a lot of cd's but I don't have a Blu-Ray/UHD drive(they are the same no?). And from my understanding a libredrive is the cheaper way to do it as well as being reliable. Correct me if I'm wrong though. I just need a drive that will rip any Blu ray or UHD disk. I just need to know what drives to look for and how to flash them from everything I've read so far. I'm sure there is more to it than that though. I can comfortably spend around 50 bucks maybe at the most rn. Its hard to afford my many hobbies right now. I am perfectly fine with used drives or having to salvage one from a different computer or old Blu ray player. What ever works is fine with me.
Sunoo

Re: Good cost efficient start to Blu Ray rip

Post by Sunoo »

Some people around here don’t like them, but you can get the LG WH14NS40 for around that price, and they’re relatively easy to flash yourself. That’s what I’ve been using, and it has ripped every disc in my collection (4K, Blu-ray, and DVD) just fine.
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

Spermy permy wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:47 pm
I am starting to rip media because we pay for media we never can own. I've done a lot of cd's but I don't have a Blu-Ray/UHD drive(they are the same no?). And from my understanding a libredrive is the cheaper way to do it as well as being reliable. Correct me if I'm wrong though. I just need a drive that will rip any Blu ray or UHD disk. I just need to know what drives to look for and how to flash them from everything I've read so far. I'm sure there is more to it than that though. I can comfortably spend around 50 bucks maybe at the most rn. Its hard to afford my many hobbies right now. I am perfectly fine with used drives or having to salvage one from a different computer or old Blu ray player. What ever works is fine with me.
Your best bet is probably to buy a drive from one of the sellers who advertise on this forum, since they can help you avoid making a costly mistake.

A UHD is a type of Blu-Ray (BDXL?) that was created around 2016. It has a larger data capacity, and also uses an updated DRM scheme compared to ordinary Blu-Rays. You should not expect BluRay drives built before UHD was created to be able to read UHD disks ;). However, all Blu-Ray drives can still read non-UHD disks.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

MakeMKV will probably work with just about any DVD or regular blu-ray drive to rip DVDs or regular blu-rays. If you don't want to spend a lot of money to start, look in friend's, neighbor's & family member's closets for any old optical drive. An enclosure, like a Vantec, can be purchased to allow an 'internal' optical drive to sit on your desk and plug into your computer via USB.

If you want to rip 4K UHDs, you have to get a drive that works with LibreDrive. Pioneer drives are considered the best for this, but they generally need to be purchased from a drive seller in your region, since you have to get one with old firmware. This forum has a post that's maintained with the list of all brands of drives that'll work and instructions on how to flash them to support LibreDrive. Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide

An important thing to think about is ripped movies will use a lot storage space pretty quickly. As a general rule, a movie ripped from a DVD will be about 5GB. A movie ripped from a blu-ray will be about 30GB. A movie ripped from a 4K UHD will be 60GB. It doesn't take long for a collection of ripped movies to start taking up a non-trivial amount of space. One needs to plan and budget accordingly.
Spermy permy

Post by Spermy permy »

Sunoo wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:16 pm
Some people around here don’t like them, but you can get the LG WH14NS40 for around that price, and they’re relatively easy to flash yourself. That’s what I’ve been using, and it has ripped every disc in my collection (4K, Blu-ray, and DVD) just fine.
How do I install it on my computer or Jerry rig it to it with a sata adapter
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Spermy permy wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:36 pm
Sunoo wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:16 pm
How do I install it on my computer or Jerry rig it to it with a sata adapter
See recommend cases and adapters in guide.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Spermy permy

Post by Spermy permy »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:10 am
MakeMKV will probably work with just about any DVD or regular blu-ray drive to rip DVDs or regular blu-rays. If you don't want to spend a lot of money to start, look in friend's, neighbor's & family member's closets for any old optical drive. An enclosure, like a Vantec, can be purchased to allow an 'internal' optical drive to sit on your desk and plug into your computer via USB.

If you want to rip 4K UHDs, you have to get a drive that works with LibreDrive. Pioneer drives are considered the best for this, but they generally need to be purchased from a drive seller in your region, since you have to get one with old firmware. This forum has a post that's maintained with the list of all brands of drives that'll work and instructions on how to flash them to support LibreDrive. Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide

An important thing to think about is ripped movies will use a lot storage space pretty quickly. As a general rule, a movie ripped from a DVD will be about 5GB. A movie ripped from a blu-ray will be about 30GB. A movie ripped from a 4K UHD will be 60GB. It doesn't take long for a collection of ripped movies to start taking up a non-trivial amount of space. One needs to plan and budget accordingly.
my friend has a old Sony BDP-S1500 could this work with my PC somehow?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Spermy permy wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:38 pm

Ahhh no would need to be USB or SATA see guide I have seen new wh14ns40 for as cheap as $40
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Spermy permy

Post by Spermy permy »

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:13 pm
Spermy permy wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:38 pm

Ahhh no would need to be USB or SATA see guide I have seen new wh14ns40 for as cheap as $40
Ok so I have found some cheap wh14ns40 drives. And I found this adapter (Alxum AX-SC021NEW USB to sata cable-Marty) from the guide. Will this work? I saw some of the adapters don’t support flashing I believe this one does from what I’ve read. Tell me what y’all think thank you