Pioneer firmware update February 2023

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Billycar11

Re: Pioneer firmware update February 2023

Post by Billycar11 »

Krawk wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:10 pm
So does it look like Pioneer won the battle?
No pioneer lost...
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
wyzxvnv

Post by wyzxvnv »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:14 am
Krawk wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:10 pm
So does it look like Pioneer won the battle?
No pioneer lost...
Unforunately, everybody lost.

Because entertainment industry is full of idiots who are thinking that everybody is a pirate we have to deal with stupid restrictions in form of DRM...

Pioneer lost because they cannibalized their sales and movies are just continued to be riped anyway with other drives.
We, as movie lovers lost because we have to use junk drives from LG instead of high quality Pioneer drives.

Nobody won.
Toscaclarinet

Post by Toscaclarinet »

It's an even sillier decision on Pioneer's part given that the "official" UHD watching method is now pretty much dead in the water, since Cyberlink PowerDVD stopped supporting watching 4k discs as of September 2023 (itself a consequence of intel no longer supporting sgx). If they can no longer be used at all for 4k discs either officially or unofficially, there's basically no point buying pioneer drives and I have a feeling that we won't see any new drive models going forward.
rgkrgk

Post by rgkrgk »

I had my working S13-UBK die after 11 months and the Pioneer service was fantastic -- I had a new drive in <1 month. But it has 1.04...

Am I reading this all correctly that for 4k ripping, this is now dead and I need to get a new drive (i.e., not worth waiting)? Really unfortunate since this was an excellent drive.
ZachBird

Post by ZachBird »

Just built an AMD PC and wanted a nice UHD BluRay drive, so I bought an BDR-S13U-X. When I initially looked it up, what I read was that it should be good out of the box. Unfortunately mine came with FW rev 1.04. :P All that to say I'm cheering for you Mike! You're doing the lords work helping people enjoy their media in spite of the DRM dumpster fire. Thank you for the effort you put in to this. I hope you are successful in making the S13U-X viable again!