Streaming hanging after a few seconds

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
moviemaniac

Streaming hanging after a few seconds

Post by moviemaniac »

Hi,

I'm noticing this error on makeMKV 1.5.6 on Ubuntu 10.10 development branch: When streaming movies they hang after a few seconds regardless of the player and/or codec backend (gstreamer/ffmpeg) used. I tried recompiling MakeMKV as well as VLC but the error stayed. When I wanted to test a previous version of MakeMKV which worked perfectly I couldn't find the sources to download anymore :(
When I rip the BDs and make a MKV file, they play just fine.

Any ideas?
crowfax

Re: Streaming hanging after a few seconds

Post by crowfax »

Which version of VLC are you using?
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
moviemaniac

Post by moviemaniac »

Always the latest one via git-checkout. ffmpeg is also kept up-to date at least twice a month fresh from upstream's svn. However, as I wrote, the same problem exists in programs using gstreamer like totem (which I don't build myself so I can rule that out as a source of the problem) and (s)mplayer which is also kept up-to-date by myself.
moviemaniac

Post by moviemaniac »

Found a copy of 1.5.4's sources on my backintime-backup drive and everything works again, so I'd say this is a regression introduced between 1.5.5 and 1.5.6 (I remember 1.5.5 as working)
moviemaniac

Post by moviemaniac »

Okay, scratch that, 1.5.4 isn't working properly either, it has something to do with streaming from the disk
moviemaniac

Post by moviemaniac »

Okay, I found the culprit. I switched to the 2.6.35-rc-series about the time when I installed MakeMKV 1.5.6 - reverting to kernel 2.6.34 fixes the problem for me.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Hey,

Sorry I didn't get back to you, real life got in the way! Anyway, glad you have it fixed.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
moviemaniac

Post by moviemaniac »

crowfax wrote:Hey,

Sorry I didn't get back to you, real life got in the way! Anyway, glad you have it fixed.
No problems. Anyway the real trouble begins now hunting down the real bug (regression) in the kernel - I've never done a git bisect on a project as big as the kernel itself :shock: