Don't create wget output files

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
trompette

Don't create wget output files

Post by trompette »

Hi,
It seems that recent wget versions (I'm running 1.19.1) redirect log messages to a file when running in the background. This causes the following messages when running the program:

Code: Select all

$ makemkv

Redirecting output to ‘wget-log’.

Redirecting output to ‘wget-log.1’.
And this also creates two wget log files in the current folder. I can reproduce this when I run wget in the background like so:

$ wget -q -O - -T 20 -U 'MakeMKV/v1.10.4/linux(x64-release)' http://www.makemkv.com/keyinfo.txt.gz?a=7 &
Adding this switch fixes the issue:

-o /dev/null
kevmitch

Re: Don't create wget output files

Post by kevmitch »

This still happens with the current MakeMKV v1.10.10 linux(x64-release). Most problematically, when using using libmmbd with mpv, which has recently fixed spam from libbluray. This wget output (not to mention the garbage file creation) is the sole remaining eyesore. This seem beyond the control of the library user. Seems kind of dumb "feature" for wget to have, but the fix is confirmed here and should be easy enough to implement in makemkvcon.
mosquitogang201

Post by mosquitogang201 »

This bugged me too. The attached patch fixes it.
Attachments
makemkv_wget_patch.txt
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 897 times
crhrwc

Post by crhrwc »

I'm often getting defunct wget processes tied to makemkvcon, I wonder is this a related problem to what you are posting about?

1864 pts/2 Zl 0:00 [makemkvcon] <defunct>
1870 pts/2 ZN 0:00 [wget] <defunct>
1871 pts/2 ZN 0:00 [wget] <defunct>
Fedora Linux.
What's a "Windows?"
crhrwc

Post by crhrwc »

Turning off the "Allow contacting web server for updates" under preferences does indeed stop the zombie wget processes.

However, it doesn't stop the zombie makemkvcon process which lock up my Blu Ray drive. I've seen this for years, running under multiple versions of Fedora Linux, currently I'm on makemkv-1.14.4-1.fc29.x86_64.

Only fix I've found, short of reboot, is to excursively use external DVD/Blu Ray drives. Turning the drive on/off clears the zombie makemkvcon process and I'm back in business.

Region 2 DVDs seem to cause this zombie state most often, and far more often when I try to read the disc in my BD-RE WH16NS40 drive, I have much better success reading region 2 DVDs in the Lenovo Slim XL34 drive.
Fedora Linux.
What's a "Windows?"