How to update to latest version on Ubuntu 16.04 [Solved]

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
averageschmoe

How to update to latest version on Ubuntu 16.04 [Solved]

Post by averageschmoe »

While I did somehow manage to make my way through compiling MakeMKV with FLAC on Ubuntu 14.04 a while back, I have absolutely no idea how I go about updating to the latest version. I upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 a couple of weeks ago and I tried 'sudo apt-get update makemkv' just to see what happens -- and was given this:

Code: Select all

N: Ignoring file '50unattended-upgrades.ucf-old' in directory '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
Perhaps this is a better question for an Ubuntu forum, but it occurred to me that someone on here could point me at which specific packages I need to uninstall/update/reconfigure/idk from the walkthrough. I'm guessing that apt isn't going to automatically update software I manually compiled, but that's just a wild guess, for all I know that is exactly what apt is supposed to do. I'm not sure if I need to uninstall anything or just follow the directions from start to finish like I did the first time. Thanks for anything.

Last edited by averageschmoe on Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annevejb

Re: How to update to latest version on Ubuntu 16.04

Post by annevejb »

I have installed it in Mint 17.3 KDE, I do not know about the latest Ubuntu.

You say that you tried 'sudo apt-get update makemkv'
When I update I need to install a new version from scratch, but not uninstalling the old version before that.

I wrote a helpfile of the method that I use with Mint, which does not install using the Ubuntu instructions. Sounds like you will need your own variation. This is:
MakeMKV 1.9.10 and Handbrake in Linux Mint 17, v1.02

Update. That earlier file I wrote, MakeMKV 1.9.10 and Handbrake in Linux Mint 17, v1.02, is a way too complicated method and the method needed at any one time gradually changes. The ppa method is a dream, this way was a nightmare.
Last edited by annevejb on Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
DenverDave

Post by DenverDave »

Search for makemkv ppa
Add the ppa and install from there
No need to build or uninstall for newer versions
averageschmoe

Post by averageschmoe »

DenverDave wrote:Search for makemkv ppa
Add the ppa and install from there
No need to build or uninstall for newer versions

That's good news, I guess. I was definitely hoping to learn something about manually building and updating packages, but that's not on helpful MakeMKV forum members. Thanks.