Flatpak release?

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
hmsintrepide

Flatpak release?

Post by hmsintrepide »

Could we have a flatpak version on flathub for example?

Work with lot's of distro, quick install, update system...
Woodstock

Re: Flatpak release?

Post by Woodstock »

Does it support closed-source programs? Remember, only part of MakeMKV is "open source".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
hmsintrepide

Post by hmsintrepide »

Woodstock wrote:Does it support closed-source programs? Remember, only part of MakeMKV is "open source".
Flathub include Steam, Discord, Spotify and other. All are proprietary.
JohnAStebbins

Post by JohnAStebbins »

hmsintrepide wrote:Could we have a flatpak version on flathub for example?

Work with lot's of distro, quick install, update system...
Creating a flatpak recipe for makemkv is relatively easy. I've done it and it works well. There's a bit of a glitch in "building" the binary module. The eula script fails. I think this is because the flatpak-build sandbox may be closing stdin. Easily worked around by patching out the eula script, but not something I would distribute without the eula intact.
wberrier

Post by wberrier »

I've created a flatpak and created a pull request for it to be included on flathub here:

https://github.com/flathub/flathub/pull/712

Any chance the makemkv developers would like to maintain this package? (That's the flathub preference) If not, I'd be happy to maintain it.
wberrier

Post by wberrier »

Also, any interest in including the appdata file in makemkv? (It's a cross-distro/packaging install info file, and required by flathub to send upstream)

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/flath ... ppdata.xml
fordprefect

Post by fordprefect »

I really appreciate this effort.
Having this as flatpak would be really good for all users whose distro doesn't maintain a makemkv package.

One thing I wonder about is whether the system wide integration of the the libs from makeMKV will work with that, since flatpaks are sandboxed as far as I understood.

I am talking about this:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7009
Can you check this with your flatpak?
wberrier

Post by wberrier »

MakeMKV is now on flathub!

Contributors can submit pull requests here: https://github.com/flathub/com.makemkv.MakeMKV

As far as the sandbox, yes, it isolates MakeMKV from the rest of the system.

One idea is that if VLC wants to use it, they would have to include makemkv in their flatpak. Or, maybe a flatpak extension including the libs could work? Not sure how to handle the case for people without a license though...
fordprefect

Post by fordprefect »

Hi,

before I go into details, a big thank you for the integraion into flathub. That makes switching to Fedora so much easier for me.

I already saw it some minutes after release, because I was stalking the GitHub Repo^^.
I installed it on Fedora29 and it seems to work as expected. Somehow I didn't need to enter a key, but maybe that was because I had a native version of MakeMKV installed earlier.

Regarding the links and system integration. I found the libmmbd.so.0 to be in the folder:
/var/lib/flatpak/app/com.makemkv.MakeMKV/x86_64/stable/active/files/lib

I tried to link this to /usr/lib64 as libaacs.so.0 and libbdplus.so.0 but VLC cant access the bluray.

Maybe I am getting something wrong. I mean of course makemkv is isolated with flatpak, but when I can see the lib, then why can't I just link or copy it?
bilfrank

Post by bilfrank »

Thank you. I had an earlier post, 'super slow burn' concerning Linux Mint. I just installed MakeMKV through Flathub and apparently the dependencies apt didn't complain about have been fulfilled. Is rolling at 30 M/s right now inside Mint. Truly appreciate it.
fordprefect

Post by fordprefect »

Maybe this should be pinned or an information on the main site should be created. I assume this is by far the easiest method now to get makeMKV on linux and has even the advantage to not interfere with the rest of the system.

Only thing I am missing is the usage of libmmbd.so.0. Since this file is readable and accessible I assume I am just too much of a noob to get it working.
meket

Post by meket »

Sadly https://flathub.org/apps/com.makemkv.MakeMKV does not include the makemkvcon command.

This makes it unusable on a server, since it does not have a monitor connected, so no GUI can be started.
I wanted to automate extracting tracks from dvd iso files, so now I have to get the source code from viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224 and compile it on the server...
kuitsu

Post by kuitsu »

Flatpak package does contain makemkvcon command but it is not directly visible in your filesystem/path since flatpak is sandboxed container.

You need to use command like below to run makemkvcon from inside of MakeMKV package.

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=makemkvcon com.makemkv.MakeMKV