MakeMKV v1.10.7 linux(x64-release) crash with openJDK 1.8

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
gregoliver

MakeMKV v1.10.7 linux(x64-release) crash with openJDK 1.8

Post by gregoliver »

This is the first time MakeMKV has ever crashed on me. This particular video (Red ver of Wish Upon) crashes every time it loads openjdk -- 1.8.0.144-5.

There are no deubg symbols, so gdb turns up nothing - nothing in the logs except loading java from...

I removed the java pref and restarted it, and it loads the movie just fine now.

How to debug?

TIA

-Greg
drbuckingham

Re: MakeMKV v1.10.7 linux(x64-release) crash with openJDK 1.

Post by drbuckingham »

I experienced the same issue and on a whim tried to backup the bluray instead, which worked --- but when I opened the decrypted files, I still got the same fatal error.
drbuckingham

Post by drbuckingham »

Has a solution been found for this or are we to wait until the next version of MakeMKV is released? I could back up the disk, but I still can't rip the movie because it fails to open. I had no custom java pref specified in the settings to be able to remove. Changing from OpenJDK to Oracle's JDK did not solve the issue either, or is there something else I can try?
xr200

Post by xr200 »

You're talking about a JDK (Java Development Kit) version, but I don't think makemkv cares about the JDK.
In most cases it cares about the JRE (Jave Runtime Environment).

/bdjava/

You probably have the same version of the JRE installed as you do the JDK. If makemkv is calling
java, presumably it has to use java (as described in the URL) to read the disc. One thing you could
try would be to temporarily remove (or rename) java, rerun makemkv, and see what happens. I suspect/guess
it's gonna fail with an error saying "I can't find java", but I don't know that for sure.

If the problem persists, I'd suggest reporting it to

support@makemkv.com

and be patient.
BrionS

Post by BrionS »

There are some differences between OpenJDK and Oracle JDK that have caused me headache in the past (not with MakeMKV).

Is there anything preventing you from installing Oracle JDK/JRE as well and running MakeMKV with that runtime instead? You don't have to replace OpenJDK, just make sure that MakeMKV uses the Oracle version when it's built/run (which may mean you have to create a special environment where JAVA_HOME points at your Oracle installation and not the default java installation). Both are free to use for personal use so there isn't a money consideration there.
drbuckingham

Post by drbuckingham »

Yes, the same version of JRE is installed along with the JDK.

I have already tried uninstalling OpenJDK and installing Oracle's 1.8 JDK/JRE to no avail, the same error occurs.

I am running Ubuntu MATE 16.04.3 LTS, 4.10.0.38-generic kernel, and MakeMKV 1.10.7. Note there aren't any pertinent dumps or other useful information in ~/.MakeMKV either.
strab

Post by strab »

I'm having the same issue with 1.10.7. If Java is installed, MakeMKV crashes. If I uninstall Java, it works, but I lose the features that require Java.

I switched back to 1.10.6 for now, as 1.10.7 is unusable for me because of this issue.
drbuckingham

Post by drbuckingham »

I have, and still am, ripping other titles without any issue using 1.10.7. It is only the Bluray "Wish Upon" that is causing me grief.
drbuckingham

Post by drbuckingham »

The issue was not resolved with v1.10.8.
Topher

Post by Topher »

Resolved same issue on openSUSE 42.3 & MakeMKV v1.10.8 by rolling back the JRE to java-1_6_0-openjdk-1.6.0.44-4.1.x86_64

https://software.opensuse.org/package/j ... _0-openjdk
Kebast

Post by Kebast »

I'm having this exact issue with The Blackcoat's Daughter. I tried Java 6, 7, 8 with MakeMKV versions 1.10.8, .7 & .6.

1.10.6 was the only version that worked without a crash.