[Bug] .mkv appended on .mk3d files

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
mmkv246

[Bug] .mkv appended on .mk3d files

Post by mmkv246 »

Registered user here.

When using *.mk3d as the file extension, an additional *.mkv becomes appended to the file. This gives *.mk3d.mkv.

To reproduce that just put a filename ending in .mk3d into the output field.

The release is:

MakeMKV v1.12.0 [linux(x64-release)]
GUI Version v1.12.0 [for x86_64-linux-gnu]

Thanks for a great piece of software.
Woodstock

Re: [Bug] .mkv appended on .mk3d files

Post by Woodstock »

I would not classify this as a "bug". MakeMKV is appending an extension when it doesn't recognize that the file name ends in an extension. And MakeMKV does not "know" the mk3d file extension... it isn't present in the code, at least not on the Windows version.

Remember that you can use a period pretty much anywhere in a file name, especially on Linux. MakeMKV defaults to adding the .mkv if you forget it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mmkv246

Post by mmkv246 »

Thanks for your answer.

MK3D is a valid extension of the Matroska univers. It's standard for stereoscopic video in a MKV container. I can produce stereoscopic content easily with MakeMKV but I have to manually change the extension afterwards.

So let me change that to a feature request: Please allow MKV and MK3D as extensions. If these two are not appended to the output pathname/filename, please fallback to the standard extension MKV then.

Here you'll find the standard extensions, two of them are for videos and the other ones (audio) do not apply, of course:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That's up to the author, Mike. I just know that "mk3d" does not appear in the program, so it doesn't think it's an extension.

Also, are you sure what you're extracting qualifies as an "mk3d"?
Stereoscopic 3D video file created in the Matroska 3D (MK3D) format, which is used for storing 3D content; uses the standard .MKV container but includes a StereoMode field for the specific format of the enclosed 3D video (e.g., side by side (left eye is first), top-bottom (right eye is first), etc.).
Files extracted from a BD with 3D will include an MVC track, which is not "SBS" or "TAB" information. There are programs that will extract the information from the MVC track and CONVERT it to SBS/TAB, which would then qualify as a "mk3d" file...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mmkv246

Post by mmkv246 »

Also, are you sure what you're extracting qualifies as an "mk3d"?
Yes, I'm really sure. I produce these containers, I use these containers and they play well whenever they are used with all kinds of software players. Needless to say that I set the special MKV flag "stereo mode" for these kinds of MKV content accordingly.

Would be cool if the developer would take the official MKV extension MK3D into account within his otherwise great working software.

Thanks.