Registration code doesn't work for Linux edition

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
Servant

Registration code doesn't work for Linux edition

Post by Servant »

I got a dialog when opening MakeMKV today that says the software is too old and directs me to download the latest version or enter the registration code I received when I purchased MakeMKV. The registration code is rejected. I don't want to have to recompile this application every time there's an update. Why is the registration code failing?
ken65m

Re: Registration code doesn't work for Linux edition

Post by ken65m »

The latest beta key can always be found at this announcement:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you have a permanent (purchased) key, it should function even if the version of MakeMKV is old. I'm not sure if a new beta key will get around the "too old" message if the version you're running is more than half a year old. I'm guessing Mike put that in to make it so that people aren't trying to do stuff like read UHD disks with versions that do not support UHD.

What version are you trying to use?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Servant

Post by Servant »

Thank you, Ken. I assumed that the beta key wouldn't work if the permanent key that I purchased from GuinpinSoft didn't, and that I would have to download a new version of the source code and recompile it for the latest beta key to work. However, the key supplied at the link you provided works!

Woodstock - Thanks for replying. The version that I compiled is 1.12.0. The permanent key that I purchased worked when I had MakeMKV installed on Windows, but since moving MakeMKV to Linux it fails. (I uninstalled the version that I had running on Windows.)

Thanks,

- Servant
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I had to go look up who "GuinpinSoft" was, because I had never seen that name until today. Guess I should not skim the license agreement so quickly....

But yes, the Windows permanent key should work directly on Linux and MacOS versions. You do not have to uninstall from Windows to run it on Linux - the license allows for multiple copies to be installed on your personal machines, just not on your friends' computers. :)

Where there might be an issue is if you copied it wrong; When you enter it, you can't have any spaces or other characters around it. When I use copy/paste, I make sure to not pick up anything "extra" by first pasting to a "text-only" application. If it looks OK there, then I paste into the intended application MakeMKV, in this case.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging