[SOLVED] Optical disk drive unrecognized

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
pmatos

[SOLVED] Optical disk drive unrecognized

Post by pmatos »

I have a bluray drive on a recent arch installation that's not detected even though I am a member of the optical group. Even running under sudo does not help.

It just says

Code: Select all

the program cannot find any usable optical drives.
Is there a verbose flag or something so I can understand what's actually going on? I can mount (/dev/sr0) and watch dvds using it in mplayer.
Last edited by pmatos on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pmatos

Re: Optical disk drive unrecognized

Post by pmatos »

pmatos wrote:I have a bluray drive on a recent arch installation that's not detected even though I am a member of the optical group. Even running under sudo does not help.

It just says

the program cannot find any usable optical drives.
Is there a verbose flag or something so I can understand what's actually going on? I can mount (/dev/sr0) and watch dvds using it in mplayer.
With debug I get this in the debug file:

Debug log started at Mon Jun 11 13:30:17 2018 , written by MakeMKV v1.12.2 linux(x64-release)
Using 524544KB for read cache.
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.12.2 linux(x64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /home/pmatos//MakeMKV_log.txt
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 2 at O9F4i`a@>+vYs)L9K@~q/p,k:121261428
005042:0000 The program can't find any usable optical drives.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Have you read through this topic yet? http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16939
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
pmatos

Post by pmatos »

Woodstock wrote:Have you read through this topic yet? http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16939
Thanks for the reference.
alienbob64

Re: [SOLVED] Optical disk drive unrecognized

Post by alienbob64 »

What I discovered when I had this issue was that the default Installation folder was "C:/Program Files (x86)" (32 bit install folder)

Looking at task manager I saw this process running;
MakeMKV application (32 bit)

Since I am running a Windows 10 64 bit, I changed the install folder to "C:/Program Files" (64 bit install folder) and that seems to have fixed the issue,
as long as you run as administrator.

Looking at task manager I now see these processes running;
MakeMKV console Application (Properties indicate this process is associated with makemkvcon64.exe)
pmatos

Re: [SOLVED] Optical disk drive unrecognized

Post by pmatos »

alienbob64 wrote:What I discovered when I had this issue was that the default Installation folder was "C:/Program Files (x86)" (32 bit install folder)

Looking at task manager I saw this process running;

Since I am running a Windows 10 64 bit, I changed the install folder to "C:/Program Files" (64 bit install folder) and that seems to have fixed the issue,
as long as you run as administrator.

Looking at task manager I now see these processes running;
MakeMKV console Application (Properties indicate this process is associated with makemkvcon64.exe)
I am on Linux. My problem was I was missing the sg kernel module. A modprobe sg, sorted it out.