ripping automation

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
tritron

ripping automation

Post by tritron »

I wonder if anyone has script that automates ripping of mkv files. I saw someone was working on one. Plugin for mythtv would be nice.
jdbower

Re: ripping automation

Post by jdbower »

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, but there aren't many parameters that MakeMKV takes on the command line:
http://www.makemkv.com/developers/usage.txt

In theory, something like this should be all you need:

Code: Select all

makemkvcon mkv disc:0 all /path/to/videos
A quick search didn't turn up much in the way of CDDB-like databases to automate naming and the like. This looks promising but they don't seem to have a Linux-based ID extraction tool. They do have one written in Java that may be adaptable to a script (if you do manage to get something working, please be sure to share!).

However, I've found that the command line version of MakeMKV seems not to be as robust as the GUI. I've been playing with a few DVD titles via command line that fail to open, but when I run the MakeMKV GUI they work just fine.
jdbower

Post by jdbower »

Just for kicks I did manage to edit the Java code from the DVD database so it would work, but either there's something wrong with how the DVD database ID gets calculated or the DVD database just isn't up-to-date (either way, it makes the script a little less than useful at the moment). Here's the code with instructions at the top that at least generate an output in case it becomes useful:
https://www.ebower.com/docs/dbid/

Since the data seems to be crowd-sourced, maybe if more of us use it the data will be less stale.

Of course, I'm not even sure if this is what you've asked for but if it is I'd be happy to write a script to parse the output into a consumable format should I ever stumble upon some free time.
MacAngelo

Post by MacAngelo »

Thank you for trying.
Still looking for an auto script, "service" that's automatic in finding the DVD/Blu-ray title, cover jacket, and name the title correct to introduce the file to Plex via MakeMVK as the ripper/encoder. Coming up dry.

I had been using: http://mac.software.com/utilities/batch ... -automator
but it doesn't seem to be accurate as I have to rename the title each time and won't output correctly as it once did (previous versions of the automator script, earlier Mac OS X, using Fairmount (which I still have but it's disappeared from the net now).

Still looking . . .
theonlyski

Post by theonlyski »

MacAngelo wrote:Thank you for trying.
Still looking for an auto script, "service" that's automatic in finding the DVD/Blu-ray title, cover jacket, and name the title correct to introduce the file to Plex via MakeMVK as the ripper/encoder. Coming up dry.
Well, try this:

udisks --show-info /dev/sr0 | grep label | cut -c32-
RonJohn

Post by RonJohn »

theonlyski wrote:

udisks --show-info /dev/sr0 | grep label | cut -c32-
A future-proof implementation may be:

udisks --show-info /dev/sr0 | grep label | awk '{print $2;}'
That way, it still works even if the column layout ever changes.
Registered user.
Linux x86_64 (Xubuntu)
nickr

Post by nickr »

Filebot is a great renamer, and has a commandline option. Once it is named, plex will download the other metadata like cover etc.
ryan99

Post by ryan99 »

There is another way...

What if you could extract the subtitles from the track and compare that to those on opensubtitles.org. That would allow any program to detect with accuracy if its a match.

Opensubtitles uses IMDb ids too. So then fetching IMDb info is a breeze.

By the way I have done the above (shameless plug):
ryandev.github.io/Ripsnort

It will rip dvd's/blurays automatically upon insertion then detect movie/episode, rename and move to your multimedia folder.

The cataloging can be called separately for any pre-ripped mkv files

Please note however there is no Windows support & it will not work with TV episodes that are in a single mkv

Cheers,
Ryan