How to uninstall MakeMKV 1.17.4 on Ubuntu

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
tga44

How to uninstall MakeMKV 1.17.4 on Ubuntu

Post by tga44 »

Hi,

I'm not a Linux expert, sorry about that.

I recently installed MakeMKV on my Linux system, Ubuntu 22.04.2.

I wanted to rip my collection of HD-DVD, but unforntunately, MakeMKV version 1.17.4 doesn't work at all with HD-DVD (it crashes while attempting to decrypt the disk - exact same result on the Windows version...).

So, I want to remove it from my system, but I can't.

It is not visible among the installed applications. Snap can't find it, and a "sudo apt remove makemkv" doesn't work either.

Again, I'm quite a newbie on Linux :oops: .

Thanks for your help.
syntax2001

Re: How to uninstall MakeMKV 1.17.4 on Ubuntu

Post by syntax2001 »

On my Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu) the installation of makemkv-oss and makemkv-bin created the following files, links or directories:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/makemkv
/usr/bin/mmccextr
/usr/bin/mmgplsrv
/usr/lib/libdriveio.so.0
/usr/lib/libmakemkv.so.1
/usr/lib/libmmbd.so.0
/usr/share/applications/makemkv.desktop
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/makemkv.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/makemkv.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/makemkv.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/makemkv.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/makemkv.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/makemkv.png
/usr/bin/makemkvcon
/usr/bin/sdftool
/usr/share/MakeMKV
/usr/share/MakeMKV/appdata.tar
/usr/share/MakeMKV/blues.jar
/usr/share/MakeMKV/blues.policy
You could delete all those files as root -- but be careful: deleting the wrong files may destroy your system.

Also my in my home directory there is a (hidden) directory .MakeMKV that stores configuration. I would consider to delete this directory and its content also.
jvian1

Re: How to uninstall MakeMKV 1.17.4 on Ubuntu

Post by jvian1 »

If one were to peruse the content of the Makefile located in the directories used to compile and install the app there is usually a list of commands on the form

Code: Select all

install: out/libdriveio.so.0 out/libmakemkv.so.1 $(OUT_GUI) out/libmmbd.so.0 out/mmccextr out/mmgplsrv
        $(INSTALL) -D -m 644 out/libdriveio.so.0 $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/libdriveio.so.0
        $(INSTALL) -D -m 644 out/libmakemkv.so.1 $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/libmakemkv.so.1
        $(INSTALL) -D -m 644 out/libmmbd.so.0 $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/libmmbd.so.0

ifeq ($(DESTDIR),)
        ldconfig
endif
ifeq ($(ENABLE_GUI),yes)
        $(INSTALL) -D -m 755 out/makemkv $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)/makemkv
        $(INSTALL) -D -m 644 makemkvgui/share/makemkv.desktop $(DESTDIR)$(datadir)/applications/makemkv.desktop
        $(INSTALL) -D -m 644 makemkvgui/share/icons/16x16/makemkv.png $(DESTDIR)$(datadir)/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/makemkv.png
        $(INSTALL) -D -m 644 makemkvgui/share/icons/22x22/makemkv.png $(DESTDIR)$(datadir)/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/makemkv.png
        $(INSTALL) -D -m 644 makemkvgui/share/icons/32x32/makemkv.png $(DESTDIR)$(datadir)/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/makemkv.png
        $(INSTALL) -D -m 644 makemkvgui/share/icons/64x64/makemkv.png $(DESTDIR)$(datadir)/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/makemkv.png
        $(INSTALL) -D -m 644 makemkvgui/share/icons/128x128/makemkv.png $(DESTDIR)$(datadir)/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/makemkv.png
        $(INSTALL) -D -m 644 makemkvgui/share/icons/256x256/makemkv.png $(DESTDIR)$(datadir)/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/makemkv.png
endif
        $(INSTALL) -D -m 755 out/mmccextr $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)/mmccextr
        $(INSTALL) -D -m 755 out/mmgplsrv $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)/mmgplsrv

that clearly show the files installed. I believe this is a full listing of the files installed from the 'oss' compile, but may not be. One only needs to peruse that list, knowing the content of the variables used such as '$(DESTDIR)' , '$(libdir)', etc. and they can find the entire list of files created and installed.

Removing all the installed files would clean the installation up thoroughly.