linux user treated badly

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
GizMo

linux user treated badly

Post by GizMo »

I do not care mess my system with tons of development libraries and compilers, I want to download the software install and pay for the license ... because I want to pay because I have to be treated worse than windows and mac users who are already all set? I have opensuse 12.2 repostitory the only one that works has an older version (1.7.7). Many software today, like skype or google chrome provide the package in Debian and RPM are universal across all platforms linux, why do not you do it too?

I have a media center PC Linux, I spent a lot of time to optimize the setup for maximum performance, I do not want anything to install thousands of libraries just because I have to fill out before installing.

someone can explain this thing be? it seems there are rpm files updated in the repository but then attached there be anything: http://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/bin ... nSUSE_12.2
Woodstock

Re: linux user treated badly

Post by Woodstock »

Mike doesn't maintain any library other than the one here, which compile from source. This is because different distributions do different things with their libraries.

Skype et al distribute statically-linked packages that don't care about local libraries, which is really the only way to make a program "universal across all platforms Linux", at the expense of being that much bigger. And expense is a key word here - there are some Linux libraries that can't be distributed as part of a "less than fully-open source" package, which the commercial software companies have sufficient money to buy non-free versions of, to link into their commercial packages.

Remember, the only thing really "standard" on Linux is the lower-level application programming interface to the operating system, NOT the installed libraries that make use of the API. If you look at any significant package, there are dependencies upon (sometimes many) other packages being installed. You didn't notice them because the dependencies are managed by the installer. If you were to compile any of these other programs that you use every day from source, such as if you needed a patch to it before the package maintainer gets around to recompiling it for you, you would also need the development versions of those packages installed.

If the maintainer of the OpenSuSE MakeMKV package has not seen fit (or found time) to update the pre-compiled package, you have the (free!) option to maintain it yourself, just by adding the development packages asked for. If you aren't willing or able to do that, you've simply traded the walled garden of Microsoft or Apple for the slightly-lower-walled garden of your chosen distribution, and living with the choices the maintainers make for you.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
GizMo

Post by GizMo »

I know how the issue of dynamic libraries or static but I do not think that a progam of roughly 5mb can escalate its performance if it were statically compiled. We are talking about bluray, a computer that is equipped with a bluray player and has the resources necessary to view a high-resolution movie also has a powerful processor and several GB of RAM and a minimum of half tb harddisk, it makes no sense to worry about 1Mega or 2 more code, to be only one program, not all of the operating system, and would be a great comfort to all, I do not want to develop because they are not capable of planning, but I'd be happy to buy a license agreement that would provide also download a binary version for Linux that can be installed without having to upload 500mb of devel libs and having to do all the console commands and have to figure out which library is missing when the error ... All that stuff dirty loaded 1000 times more than a handful of mega binary statically linked.
bootedguy

Post by bootedguy »

I just installed MakeMKV on Ubuntu 12.04 and it was not difficult at all. Give it a try - you might be surprised.
copybb

Post by copybb »

Of course, these windows users with tons of dlls and dot.net and c++-runtime libs are better of. :mrgreen:

To be serious: I am glad seeing linux supported at all - in any way: static or dynamic.
floyd59

Post by floyd59 »

Installing it on linux is really dead simple, if you dare opening a terminal. Just follow the guide and your set up in now time.

Boy, how i love this program. Makes ripping dvds and blurays so simple and FAST on linux.