Installing MakeMKV on Ubuntu

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
plexnoob

Installing MakeMKV on Ubuntu

Post by plexnoob »

Hey Everyone,

I know I'm probably going to get some hate for not simply being able to "google" the answer to this, but I swear I've been scratching my head in frustration all day over how to properly install MakeMKV. My overall goal is to turn my old desktop into a media/file server running Plex. To rip all my DVDs to the server hard drive, I've seen that most people recommend a combination of MakeMKV and Handbrake. I've gotten mostly everything else setup, but now am stumbling over the proper installation process for MakeMKV. This is my first time using Ubunut so the whole terminal thing is/was fairly intimidating.

For reference I am on the latest stable release of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I tried following the steps listed here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

I'm having trouble with the unpacking both packages. What exactly do I do here? I know this may seem painfully simple for most but I'm fairly lost. I have both the links downloaded in my download folder, and was able to run the first part,

"sudo apt-get install build-essential libc6-dev libssl-dev libexpat1-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev"

without any problems. Now how do I go about completing the installation?

Thanks for the help!
SorenM

Re: Installing MakeMKV on Ubuntu

Post by SorenM »

To unpack the tarball you need to use the tar command. The file extension(s) ".tar.gz" means that it's a tar file that has been compressed - to extract the files for 1.7.9, simply go to the directory where you downloaded the files and issue the commands:

tar xvzf makemkv-oss-1.7.9.tar.gz
tar xvzf makemkv-bin-1.7.9.tar.gz

Those commands will unpack both files, creating the directories makemkv-oss-1.7.9 and makemkv-bin-1.7.9.

Now, simply continue with the instructions that you linked:

cd makemkv-oss-1.7.9
make -f makefile.linux
sudo make -f makefile.linux install

cd ../makemkv-bin-1.7.9
make -f makefile.linux
sudo make -f makefile.linux install
plexnoob

Post by plexnoob »

Okay thank you for the reply! My apologizes for not understanding all I had to do was unpack/unzip the files. I went ahead and did that in the download folder, and then tried running the commands in the terminal with no luck. I've attached a screenshot for clarification. Thanks again for the answer! Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (315.23 KiB) Viewed 37277 times
James Doe

Post by James Doe »

You're using the wrong path. It should be ~/Downloads/makemkv... .

Another point: using screenshots helps sometimes but I would delete my realname before publishing it. ;)
mechevar

Post by mechevar »

Try this install script. It was tested on Ubuntu 12.04 and works perfectly

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5266
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

Thanks very much for this! This script also works on 10.04 if others are wondering.