MakeMKV on Linux

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
gellis

MakeMKV on Linux

Post by gellis »

Hi,

I'm a newcomer here, however there seems to be a mix of success with running on Ubuntu (maybe even Linux in general?)

It would be useful to get some info on what people are running, and a bit of info about their system, with the hope of spotting a pattern and then being able to get a solution

I get all the time "Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..0800024C0 to device 'SG:dev_11:0'"

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 Server on a N54L Microserver. My bluray drive (Matshita BD-MLT UJ260AF) is connected via USB 3 into a USB3/SATA Card.
Last edited by gellis on Mon May 26, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miracoolix

Re: Ubuntu 14.04

Post by miracoolix »

Hi gellis,

that sounds like the result of an openSSL change that produced the same error on fedora linux (thread: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7370).

Have you installed makemkv with the ubuntu package manager or from source as described in the following video:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7370

Waht version of makeMKV are you running?

Regards
Miracoolix
gellis

Re: MakeMKV on Linux

Post by gellis »

Trying to work out what's up, I've installed an old machine with debian 7.5, however that still does not allow the drive to work (which DOES work under Windows).

Is there anything extra that needs doing to get makemkv to work on Linux?

I notice some other peoples output mentions other methods of accessing the disc (apart from direct). Is that something I need to look into? How do I tell makemkv to use another method?
gellis

Post by gellis »

miracoolix wrote:Hi gellis,

that sounds like the result of an openSSL change that produced the same error on fedora linux (thread: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7370).

Have you installed makemkv with the ubuntu package manager or from source as described in the following video:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7370

Regards
Miracoolix
Hi,

Thanks for replying :)

I installed it by downloading the two packages and configuring, making and make installing.

I didn't realise they were available via the package manager.

I've tried versions from 1.8.5 to 1.8.10

That sounds encouraging - I'll give it a go tonight and report back! :)
gellis

Post by gellis »

miracoolix wrote:Hi gellis,

that sounds like the result of an openSSL change that produced the same error on fedora linux (thread: ).

Regards
Miracoolix
Hi,

Thanks for replying :)

I installed it by downloading the two packages and configuring, making and make installing.

I didn't realise they were available via the package manager.

I've tried versions from 1.8.5 to 1.8.10

That sounds encouraging - I'll give it a go tonight and report back! :)

(reposted without links!)
gellis

Post by gellis »

I've tried the solution suggested on fedora, but no luck :(

First I tried just adding the -DOPENSSL_NO_EC to the end of the CFLAGS line in Makefile.
Made, made installed and tested, but still the KEY EXCHANGE FAILIURE.

Then I downgraded openssl,libssl and libssl-dev to 1.0.1c, re compiled with and without flag, no luck

Then upgraded (still a downgrade from head...) to 1.0.1e (as done on fedora thread), and still no luck.

Any ideas now?
gellis

Post by gellis »

Just bumping as I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one having this issue.

My drive works on Windows, so I'm tempted to suggest it's down to the SSL issue that is seen on Fedora - Does anyone know a way of getting some debug to find out which part is failing? I've tried downgrading libssl-dev, libssl and openssl and I still have the issue - can anyone make any suggestions which files are used as part of any SSL interaction?
macenzy

Post by macenzy »

Just a stupid idea — was the flag actually added to the gcc calls? By now (1.8.11), there's an option for configure, --enable-noec, that will overwrite the Makefile changes after you've run configure.
gellis

Post by gellis »

I tried ./configure with --enable-noec however still get the same errors. I'm wondering if to put a windows install on the machine (using a spare disk) to check that it's nothing hardware related with this box (incompatible USB ports?)
cmbailey4365

Post by cmbailey4365 »

gellis, I found this topic today and now realize that we have the same problem.

For others viewing this topic, the same problem gellis is having has been discussed previously in relation to Fedora at http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7370. I later reported the problem at http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7806. As gellis did, I too tried the suggestions mentioned in the Fedora topic, without success.
gellis

Post by gellis »

cmbailey4365 wrote:gellis, I found this topic today and now realize that we have the same problem.

For others viewing this topic, the same problem gellis is having has been discussed previously in relation to Fedora at . I later reported the problem at . As gellis did, I too tried the suggestions mentioned in the Fedora topic, without success.
Interesting!

What hardware are you using? I wonder if since others seem to have it working on ubuntu, if it's something down to either the level of a component when makemkv was compiled (did people on 14.04 compile on 14.04 or on an earlier release?) or something down to the specific drive, or how it's connected? The more info we have from people who have it working and those who don't, we can try and work out the problem and therefore the solution....
cmbailey4365

Post by cmbailey4365 »

My drive is a Sony Optiarc BD-5730S -V3. The drive is contained in an external enclosure. The enclosure is labelled only as "ODP1201." The enclosure supports USB 3.0 and is connected using a USB 3.0-capable cable, but my computer only has USB 2.0 ports, so that is what I am using to connect it.

This setup (drive, enclosure, and cable) works well with the Windows version of MakeMKV on a different computer which has Windows 7 installed. MakeMKV does not work for me when using Windows 7 in a virtual machine on my own computer, with Ubuntu as the host operating system. A similar application, AnyDVD HD, works when using Windows 7 in a virtual machine on my own computer.

I had this same issue with MakeMKV when using Ubuntu 13.10. I do a complete re-install of Ubuntu and MakeMKV for each new Ubuntu version, so for me MakeMKV was compiled on the Ubuntu version that it failed on (13.10, then 14.04).
gellis

Post by gellis »

When did you first try makemkv on ubuntu? Did it work before this ssl issue that affected fedora?

If so, I wonder if its another component that we've not spotted yet.

It would be useful if someone knew a way to get raw debug out of the OS, though I think that would require assistance from Mike, since he will understand everything that makemkv is doing/trying to do....
cmbailey4365

Post by cmbailey4365 »

I am not very knowledgeable about software, but will try to describe things as accurately as I can.

According to a post elsewhere (http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... =15#p31120), openssl versions including and after 1.0.1e-28 cannot be used to build a working makemkv-oss. I first tried, unsuccessfully, to use MakeMKV on Ubuntu 13.10. Apparently, I would have been using openssl version 1.0.1e-3ubuntu1.6 at that time. The version of openssl currently installed on my system is 1.0.1f-1ubuntu2.4. Unfortunately, a solution mentioned in another post (http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... =30#p31179) that apparently bypasses the openssl package installed on one's system and uses one included with MakeMKV instead does not work for me.
averylinden

Post by averylinden »

1.8.11 compiled and works fine for me with openssl 1.0.1h-3 from the debian testing repo.