Play 3D MVC MKV on Linux - most recent and best way to do it

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
cybtrash

Play 3D MVC MKV on Linux - most recent and best way to do it

Post by cybtrash »

Hello,

I know XBMC can't play 3D MVC MKV, as ffdshow doesn't support it (only 2D playback).

Is it possible those *.mkv another way native? With MakeMKV streaming option or something like that? Or something like direct transcoding to 3D-HOU/SBS?

How do you play your 3D files on Linux?

I see it as best way to archive my Bluray collection (no silly menus, no other languages wasting space). And it is better than having two separate files (like 2D Remux and 3D HOU version)...

If it it NOT possible on Linux: What Windows program would you recommend? Can I play on a Windows machine and stream directly to my Linux HTPC?

Thank you!

edit:
What about this: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=169651
FRIM Decoder (command-line tool) converts elementary or transport streams (MPEG2, H.264 AVC/MVC-3D, VC1) into planar-yuv.
mike admin

Re: Play 3D MVC MKV on Linux - most recent and best way to d

Post by mike admin »

If you have a proper NVIDIA card and VDPAU enabled, then it will decode MVC 3D. In this case you can play your MKV file with VLC and get 3D output.
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

Wait, what?!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

The MVC 3D stream is an extension of regular AVC stream. When VDPAU is used, AVC/MVC decoding is offloaded to hardware (nvidia card). If the card is capable of decoding 3D MVC video and is properly connected, it would output 3D picture.
valerio

Post by valerio »

I would like to know if the recent updates to Intel Graphic Stack https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/ ... ck-release will allow playing 3D MVC mkv with vlc on Intel HD graphics cards, like it is on nvidia cards as stated above. It would be really great because linux users wouldn't need to wait for MVC support in libav to be developed.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

VLC's 3D support is very limited at this point (not sure exactly what's supported). But it's being worked on, so eventually it'll work (3D, not sure about hardware-accelerated decoding, though that's probably less work than making sure the video processing pipeline supports 3D end-to-end).
valerio

Post by valerio »

Until today I've tried everything to play 3D MVC in Linux, and for everything I mean almost every kind of combination between softwares, drivers, video API and video cards(Intel/AMD)
mpv and vlc (Debian's smplayer seems buggy) can be hardware accelerated with vdpau and vaapi on radeon or with vaapi alone on Intel HD graphics, but still the signal is 2D only. What I get is a very appreciable offload from the CPU to the GPU.
Tried fglrx proprietary drivers instead of radeon, but things don't improve (and cursor disappears!).
At the moment my 3D TV switches to 3D mode only when playing Big Buck Bunny mp4 in Linux.
pchilds

Post by pchilds »

When talking about 3D it is very important to state what kind of 3D: Active, Passive or Autostereoscopic.
What Mike has been talking about re: offloading to the hardware I believe is only applicable to those with active 3D screens (If your glasses have batteries it will be an active screen). Have you tried messing around with the Metadata in the mkv file to make sure the player identifies it as 3d?
Passive is a lot simpler in that all you would have to do is transcode to SBS or, better, over/under or it's native interleaved and the screen will do the rest for you. No need to worry about graphics card support, hdmi1.4 etc. Unfortunately no transcoding MVC in ffmpeg etc. afaik, but if you did it on a windows machine then it should stream fine.