[Updated: v1.9.1] MakeMKV rpm for Centos / RHEL 6

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
JofCore

[Updated: v1.9.1] MakeMKV rpm for Centos / RHEL 6

Post by JofCore »

I've been using MakeMKV on windoze for a while (awesome program, btw!), but recently I decided to try to get it going on my CentOS 6.5 linux machine. Using the ffmpeg and libavcodec packages availble from ATrpms, I was able to successfully compile it and get it working.

Now, since CentOS/RHEL uses binary packages (RPMs), my next step was to set about creating an RPM package for it -- I don't like installing extra libraries and compiling on my main machine, so when possible I prefer to have an RPM to install.

I am happy to say that I appear to have successfully created a MakeMKV rpm package that works on CentOS 6.5 (and most likely RHEL 6.5 as well).

From my reading of the EULA, I believe this is allowed under the license. Specifically:

Code: Select all

as a special exception, you may extract and repackage Linux-specific part of the Software for the purpose of creating a distribution-specific package, as long as program files and this license remain unchanged.
To the creators / owners / maintainers of MakeMKV: If I am incorrect in this thinking, please let me know and I will happily remove the link to the packages from this post. Also, if there is anything that you would like me to change in the way the software is packaged, please let me know. I do not want to do anything with your software that you would not like, I am just trying to "share the love" to other CentOS linux users :)

The compile was completed using the ffmpeg and libavcodec libraries available from the ATrpms yum repository. In order to install the makemkv packages, you will need access to this repository since the final RPM requires libavcodec55 to be intalled.

In addition, for a normal (non-root) user to be able to access the cd/dvd drive, you will need to add your user account to the 'cdrom' group.

My packaging consists of 3 packages:
makemkv - this package is actually blank, but requires the other 2 packages. The idea here is that if you have a yum repo or spacewalk server, you can install this package, and yum will automagically pull the other two. Intended as a simple way to install all the required packages.
makemkv-oss - the components included in the makemkv-oss distro tarball
makemkv-bin - the components included in the makemkv-bin distro tarbal

To install this on CentOS or RHEL:

If you have a central repository, like a yum repo or spacewalk server, just install the makemkv package:

yum install --nogpgcheck makemkv

To install w/out a central repository, simply put the packages in a directory, and use yum to install all 3:
yum install --nogpgcheck makemkv makemkv-oss makemkv-bin

Yum will attempt to install libavcodec55 and any other dependancies (needs ATrpms yum repo)

I have tested this on my CentOS 6.6 server and it appears to be working well. It's possible that I may have missed some dependencies (packages may already have been installed on my machine), so if anyone runs into any problems installing via yum, let me know what packages it's asking for so I can add them to the dependencies list.

Enjoy!

(The forum won't let me attach .rpm files, so you can get them from here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing)
Last edited by JofCore on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
schotty

Re: [Updated: v1.8.13] MakeMKV rpm for Centos / RHEL 6

Post by schotty »

What would it take (bribery is acceptable by me :D ) to get el7 rpms made too? Or sharing of the .spec file you used or srpm?
AliceWonder

Post by AliceWonder »

I would like to package this for RHEL 7

I already run this media repository:

http://awel.domblogger.net/7/media/

http://awel.domblogger.net/7/gstreamer/

I suspect I already have many of the dependencies packaged.

Your link did not contain a src.rpm - I would prefer to start with one that is known to work in EL6

Can you contact me about sending me the spec file and any needed patches?
schotty

Post by schotty »

I might have gotten a package worthwhile of sharing. Working out a few dependencies so I dont have a crapton of repos. Currently I have gotten it down to Nux and Epel. Ill keep you posted.
JofCore

Post by JofCore »

Sorry for the delay in response, was away from home for most of last week.

I've added my SRPM to the files on google drive if anyone wants to have a look. I didn't need to do anything special to get it to compile I don't think; I just made sure I had the atrpms repo available, and then followed the build instructions I believe.