Bluray drive recommendations

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
ahow628

Bluray drive recommendations

Post by ahow628 »

I've got an ancient Pioneer Bluray drive (BDC-202 from around 2007) and it basically won't read any Blurays. So, I need a new drive.

Any recommendations on a drive? Specifically, I'll be using it with Ubuntu 14.04 which I plan on sticking with until the next LTS since this is on my MythTV HTPC which I've learned to not tinker with.

I'm in the US and usually buy from Newegg or Amazon, but if there is a good deal on a good drive elsewhere, I'm happy to buy from wherever.

I'm fine with internal or external, but external will sit in one spot regardless.
Woodstock

Re: Bluray drive recommendations

Post by Woodstock »

The LG WH14NS40 drive works well with MakeMKV under Windows - no experience using it under Linux. I regularly see rip speeds over 6x on BDs, with a high of 11x (rare). I own two of them... Considering replacing one of my older BDs with a third one.

Amazon lists them for around $72.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ahow628

Post by ahow628 »

Woodstock wrote:The LG WH14NS40 drive works well with MakeMKV under Windows - no experience using it under Linux. I regularly see rip speeds over 6x on BDs, with a high of 11x (rare). I own two of them... Considering replacing one of my older BDs with a third one.

Amazon lists them for around $72.
Cool. In case you are interested, Fry's has it for $59.99 with free shipping. I might do in store pick up.

Thanks!
averylinden

Post by averylinden »

I use an external Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD 6X USB for ripping on Debian, so it should work fine on Ubuntu. I've had it for over a year without problems.
Wookie

Post by Wookie »

averylinden wrote:I use an external Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD 6X USB for ripping on Debian, so it should work fine on Ubuntu. I've had it for over a year without problems.
I'm on Ubuntu and have that exact same drive and it works perfectly, the only downside is the 'riplock feature' which limits it to a max of 2.2x or 9.4M/s.

Cheers
Wookie
ahow628

Post by ahow628 »

Wookie wrote:
averylinden wrote:I use an external Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD 6X USB for ripping on Debian, so it should work fine on Ubuntu. I've had it for over a year without problems.
I'm on Ubuntu and have that exact same drive and it works perfectly, the only downside is the 'riplock feature' which limits it to a max of 2.2x or 9.4M/s.

Cheers
Wookie
Is that a problem with the drive? Seems like a strange limitation.

In any case, I wouldn't be too concerned with that since I typically start the rip before bed or before work. Speed is not a priority.
Wookie

Post by Wookie »

ahow628 wrote:Is that a problem with the drive? Seems like a strange limitation.
It's a deliberate "feature" that the manufacturer put there to try and stop or at least slow down piracy, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riplock. When will they learn whatever they can invent someone else can and will get around.