Problem installing makemkv-oss-1.8.13 with ffmpeg

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
Angry Rockhopper

Problem installing makemkv-oss-1.8.13 with ffmpeg

Post by Angry Rockhopper »

I have been using version 1.8.3 of makemkv for a long time on Ubuntu 12.04 and thought I should upgrade as I was seeing some weirdness with DVD ripping. If I read the instructions right, I needed to install a new ffmpeg as well so I got the latest version 2.4 and installed it. The problem I have is when doing the final install step for makemkv-oss-1.8.13.

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/tmp/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig ./configure

I get all yes until

checking for avcodec_encode_audio2... no
configure: error: The libavcodec library is too old. Please get a recent one from http://www.ffmpeg.org

I checked through the install script and my own versions of stuff and my libavcodex is 56, higher than the 53 the script is looking for. I tracked this error down in the config.log and found in line 60 of ffmpeg's time.c there is a clock_gettime function that is showing up as undefined and that is what is causing the failure. Has anyone else had this error? Do I realy need to install ffmpeg to go along with version 1.8.13? How can I get this error to go away?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!
mike admin

Re: Problem installing makemkv-oss-1.8.13 with ffmpeg

Post by mike admin »

It is a broken .pc file in latest ffmpeg, it misses either -lavutil or -lrt dependency. Just check the configure log, or use the previous ffmpeg version.