Speed problems when making MKV

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
moviemaniac

Speed problems when making MKV

Post by moviemaniac »

Hi guys!

I've been using this great application for a few days now, however I have noticed a small speed problem when making MKVs. When I copy files manually from my external BD drive (Liteon ihes108 in an external enclosure) I get maximum speed (about 20MB/s when copying to an external hard drive). However, when I rip a BD to MKV withe MakeMKV I only get abour 5MB/s which is painfully slow. I'm on Ubuntu lucid (10.04) x64. Any suggestions?

thanks!
mm
mike admin

Re: Speed problems when making MKV

Post by mike admin »

what happens with cpu usage?
moviemaniac

Post by moviemaniac »

CPU usage is very low, I didn't check the exact usage, but it was maybe like 5-10% (C2D E8235 2.8GHz)
mrbass

Post by mrbass »

just make sure it is connected straight to your usb port on computer rather than a hub or keyboard usb port.
moviemaniac

Post by moviemaniac »

I just tried that and it didn't change anything. I can copy via Nautilus or Thunar with max. USB 2.0 speed, but MakeMKV still only copies with 0.9-1.2x speed (about 5MB/s) with about 15% CPU usage.
skittle

Post by skittle »

iirc that liteon is riplocked, you need to use an patched firmware
moviemaniac

Post by moviemaniac »

That's not it either (at least not the whole problem) - under OSX using MakeMKV and the very same drive I can rip with 2.5x speed (about 10MB/s).
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please try the latest 1.5.0 version and check if it got any faster. It has improvements in linux IO code.
moviemaniac

Post by moviemaniac »

Thanks very much - I just tested it and the ripping speed increased from reading at about 1x speed to about 2,5-2,7x speed at which point it maxes out one of my two cpu cores with I/O load. So thanks very much for the fix! (*looking for my credit card now* :D )