Win explorer crashes when I navigate to folder with MKVs?!?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
factory15

Win explorer crashes when I navigate to folder with MKVs?!?

Post by factory15 »

Have Win7x64 and have had no problems with other versions of MakeMkv. I can rip MadMen S1D2 without error but when I navigate to the folder that has the MKVs windows explorer crashes. I tried it from a networked pc (also Win7) and it crashes as well.

This never happened before
factory15

Re: Win explorer crashes when I navigate to folder with MKVs?!?

Post by factory15 »

**Update

just tried it for another Blu-ray and same thing. I had to use a laptop with XP to connect over the network to even be able to delete the folder. I can still navigate to folders with MKVs created with an older version of MakeMKV with no issue.

Two different discs on two different win7 machines same exact problem with version 12.

I'm totally stumped
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

What MKV-related software do you have installed? Haali, CCCP, Divx MKV preview or anything like that?
factory15

Post by factory15 »

Yes I had the full *free* Divx product on which I assume included MKV Preview. I suspected Divx could've had something to do with so I uninstalled it but the problem still remains.
microjazz

Post by microjazz »

It is a weird issue. It happens to me too. At first I thought it was divx because it actually showed in the windows explorer error that some divx.dll was involved. I uninstalled it and the problem persisted. When I did a completely fresh install of windows 7 on my laptop, and copied the files back over, I could not replicate the problem (while windows didn't know what to do with mkv). I installed divx again and it started happening. I read online somewhere that Haali can cause this as well. The really weird thing is that you can't select the files by browsing to them (since windows explorer keeps crashing whenever you open the containing folder) but you can select them through another program's browser. For instancem, if I opened up MakeMKV and clicked add source or something and started browsing for a source from within MakeMKV, explorer will not crash. I can right click a file from within that window and it will even play! You can even copy and paste them that way. WTF? Also, one mistake I made was copying a mkv file to the desktop because I thought it was the "problem mkv." It indeed was a problem because windows explorer would endlessly crash and restart. Even if I restarted my computer it would start crashing and restarting (windows explorer that is) again. Any further info on this would be very helpful and interesting...
factory15

Post by factory15 »

glad to see i'm not the only one. I'v installed the latest version and it's the same problem.

What 'other' program are you using to select and play them?
microjazz

Post by microjazz »

I've been using divx. I wonder if this problem has been posted on their forums.
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

The problem is no the software it's the fact that you've got movie clip thumbnails turned on for MKVs and maybe other movie formats as well. This is well know to crash explorer for any number of reasons (known and unkown a like).

Try this, Turn your folders to detailed view or any other view that doesn't give you a preview of the movie, or you could try just turning off all previews & summary info by running this in the run command (at your own risk (just civering my ass here :) ))

Code: Select all

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
and to turn them back on with

regsvr32 shmedia.dll
if by running

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
you still have the issue I Would try uninstalling and reinstalling your codec pack (my person choice is CCCP) and making sure not to enable thumbnail or previews during the codex install.
factory15

Post by factory15 »

It appears that 1.5.1 doesnt have the problem...this is of course if something else hasnt changed on my pc.

The one interesting thing already pointed out is if I try to open the folder in an application...could be anything like notepad...and view the files ...in detail in thumbnail doesnt matter...nothing crashes and I can move, delete, etc...

so thats another stop gap solution if the problem re-appears
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@factory 15

Your last post here is confusing, so please clarify:

Are you saying that now that you are using MakeMKV v.1.5.1, your "crashing" problem has disappeared?
factory15

Post by factory15 »

correct. for the "one" test i did the problem has not re-occured. But i failed to mention the mkv is not even playable on my pc- once again i didnt even test playing it when i wrote my last response- so in reality ....yeah... this is probably not a good test.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

1.5.1 had a change for producing "more compatible MKV". Glad it worked out.
ecchimo

Post by ecchimo »

Same thing is happening to me. Latest build (1.5.2) and ive tried 2 different codec packs (divx and Haali). Im running W7. Previous MKV's made with DVD's on old version work fine.
iso13

Post by iso13 »

Had the same issue. I did a fresh reinstall of Win 7 and using CCCP and Windows Media Player...no issues. The thing that changed for me was associating the .mkv to Windows Media Player vs. VLC. My movie collection is mostly Bluray and I find VLC is lagging when it comes to Bluray support.
wongnog

Post by wongnog »

Same thing happens to me with 1.5.2. Using Win7 x64 and recently uninstalled DivX, now only have ffdshow installed. Gonna try installing the new DivX Play 8.0. Only crashes when opening folder where MakeMKV just output the MKVs created. Only solution I have is to log off or restart the system. Hoping a fix could be found soon and released in 1.5.3 because this is quite annoying!