HD-DVD Help

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
ricer23

HD-DVD Help

Post by ricer23 »

Hi All,

After plenty of searching I haven't been able to find help for my problem so I decided to make an account and post about it. I'm trying to digitize all my old HD-DVDs, and I'm having some trouble. I've got 3 Xbox360 HD-DVD drives, and the same results with each one. I've successfully ripped Transformers, but I keep striking out with the rest. MakeMKV reads the discs, finishes decrypting and then hangs on processing files. It gets to different spots before it hangs, but it still hangs. Here is the output for End Of Days:

MakeMKV v1.10.2 darwin(x86-release) started
Optical drive "DVD+R-DL MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-8A8 HB14d" opened in OS access mode.
Optical drive "BD-ROM TOSHIBA DVD/HD X807616 MC08" opened in OS access mode.
It's highly recommended to install DASPI kernel extension to improve performance.
The new version 1.10.4 is available for download at /download/
Title #BLACK.EVO has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #UNILOGO.EVO has length of 29 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #SSHOW.EVO has length of 70 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #TRAILER.EVO has length of 74 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #TRACKSPOT.EVO has length of 32 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #TRACKLIST.EVO has length of 25 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #SEQ_ALBINO.EVO has length of 30 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #SEQ_CHURCHFIRE.EVO has length of 33 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #SEQ_CREATURE.EVO has length of 48 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #SEQ_HUMANWORMS.EVO has length of 21 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #SEQ_JERICHO.EVO has length of 18 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #SEQ_LATONY.EVO has length of 12 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #SEQ_SATAN.EVO has length of 117 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #DELOGO.EVO has length of 13 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

I'm currently running macOS Sierra 10.12.1
ricer23

Re: HD-DVD Help

Post by ricer23 »

As a follow up, I just ripped The War without issue. Could it be an AACS issue?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Given that nothing has changed on the HD DVD front since it was discontinued, AACS should not be the issue. But someone who knows more about it than me would have to comment further.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ricer23

Post by ricer23 »

Woodstock wrote:Given that nothing has changed on the HD DVD front since it was discontinued, AACS should not be the issue. But someone who knows more about it than me would have to comment further.
Makes total sense. I'm ripping King Kong right now without issues too. So this is really confusing for me.
ricer23

Post by ricer23 »

An update for everyone. I've also got Streets of Fire ripping fine. It seems to work on HD-DVDs that don't have any special features. Anything with even a few special features and it just hangs on processing titles.
ricer23

Post by ricer23 »

FIXED! I switch to version 1.9.9 and it works perfectly now!
turnkit

Post by turnkit »

I hope this gets fixed. I also would like to rip my HD-DVDs.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Question that Mike will need answered, I think - at which version did it STOP working?

Developers have tools that tell them what changed at each version change, so knowing what update broke HD DVD ripping will narrow what needs to be "un-changed" to make it right again.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ricer23

Post by ricer23 »

The earliest version that I tried that it didn't work on was 1.10.2.
mister_eff

Post by mister_eff »

ricer23

Thank you so much for posting your experiences! I was having similar trouble ripping HD-DVDs with my Xbox 360 drive. I'm on Windows 10 but I was running into the same issue and it seems to have fixed itself after I reverted to MakeMKV 1.9.9. I successfully ripped Serenity just now.

This is the log I get with 1.9.9:
MakeMKV v1.9.9 win(x64-release) started
Profile parsing error: multiple default profiles found, rename your custom profile
The new version 1.10.4 is available for download at /download/
Title #BLACK.EVO has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #UNILOGO.EVO has length of 29 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #MAININTRO.EVO has length of 64 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #MAINLOOP.EVO has length of 59 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #DELSCENE1.EVO has length of 29 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #DELSCENE2.EVO has length of 74 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #DELSCENE6.EVO has length of 95 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #DELSCENE7.EVO has length of 21 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #DELSCENE9.EVO has length of 75 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #FRUITY.EVO has length of 98 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory ...
1 titles saved
When I had 1.10.4, it would get stuck at the #FRUITY.EVO line. I wouldn't be able to progress to picking the streams and doing the actual ripping. But 1.9.9 seems to work perfectly!
MainFrame

Post by MainFrame »

I am down to one working HD-DVD player, so it is high time I got around to preserving content from my original HD-DVDs.
Is it still possible to obtain V1.9.9 for Windows or Mac OSx?
Will it work as Beta or do I need to buy a license for this activity?
MetalDave

Post by MetalDave »

MainFrame wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:50 pm
I am down to one working HD-DVD player, so it is high time I got around to preserving content from my original HD-DVDs.
Is it still possible to obtain V1.9.9 for Windows or Mac OSx?
Will it work as Beta or do I need to buy a license for this activity?
Speaking from recent experience, the latest version of MakeMKV does just fine ripping most HD-DVD titles. You may need to make sure you have the appropriate keys for a given title. I touched on this in another post.

Good luck!
Support MakeMKV - Buy a license!
(Seriously, you use this thing enough; A lifetime license is well worth it.)

Thank you to all of my fellow supporters!
Heis3nberg88

Post by Heis3nberg88 »

Hey guys,

it's amazing to see, that there are still some folks in 2020 who share their love for HD DVDs. I'm trying to safe my HD DVD collection as well on a physical medium, but I'm not a native english speaker and it's really hard to get into this whole key stuff and maybe I'm not the only one who is struggling. So perhaps, there is a glory samaritan, who can post his key list as a download, with a short description to help complete blockheads like me, to get their mkv's done. This would be sooo awesome - thank you already!

Best regards,
Heis3nberg88
kawal

Post by kawal »

I tired using the latest version for HDVD but it did not work. I just used version 1.10.10 and it worked perfectly without issues. You will need to search for older versions for the older format. Not sure when the support ended and which version works best for HD DVD but 1.10.10 works for sure.
Also tested 1.12.3 and seems to rip faster than 1.10.10.
1.14.7. seems broken for HDDVD

Based on this I would use 1.12.3