www.makemkv.com

MakeMKV support forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:25 pm 

In case anyone is having problems with the method mentioned in the sticky, I'd like to mention this - I started out with MakeMKV in a folder within my /Applications folder that I use for video-oriented applications - Handbrake, etc., etc.

So, I created symlinks to MakeMKV within that folder. The symlinks were fine - show original pointed to libmmbd.dylib.

But every Blu-Ray I tried to open with VLC yielded an error stating that the disc was corrupt.

I was also able to confirm that an instance of MakeMKV was not being launched (Activity Viewer).

Moving MakeMKV Beta into the /Applications folder corrected the problem for both AACS and BDPlus encrypted discs. An instance of MakeMKV (makemkvcon) launched and the main title played.

VLC can be anywhere you wish to keep it. But it appears that MakeMKV needs to be in the main applications folder on the boot drive, and not in a a subfolder.

This pertains to MakeMKV 1.10.5, and the VLC 2.2.4. I tried a few other versions of VLC going back to 2013, and all failed if MakeMKV was in a subfolder.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:46 am 

Hey, GHender3.

Thanks for the input. I hope you might humor a little discussion to help me clarify a few things that have been plaguing me for a little while now.
GHender3 wrote:
This pertains to MakeMKV 1.10.5, and the VLC 2.2.4.
Just to be clear, I'm running the same thing.

GHender3 wrote:
I created symlinks to MakeMKV within that folder. The symlinks were fine - show original pointed to libmmbd.dylib.
Please clarify: Which folder did you create the symbolic links? My understanding is they should be in: ~/lib

Via Terminal, they’re created this way:
Code:
mkdir -p ~/lib
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd.dylib ~/lib/libaacs.dylib
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd.dylib ~/lib/libbdplus.dylib
To yield:
Code:
compooter-name:lib metaldave$ ls -al *dylib
lrwxr-xr-x  1 metaldave  staff  52 May  3 15:26 libaacs.dylib -> /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x  1 metaldave  staff  52 May  3 15:26 libbdplus.dylib -> /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd.dylib
I’m guessing that’s what you did, but I just wanted to be sure that’s what you meant. ;)

GHender3 wrote:
But every Blu-Ray I tried to open with VLC yielded an error stating that the disc was corrupt.
Did the error literally say the disc was corrupt, or did it output something like:
Code:
Blu-ray error
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
Please clarify.

GHender3 wrote:
I was also able to confirm that an instance of MakeMKV was not being launched (Activity Viewer).
I never thought to look if VLC was causing the makemkvcon process to start. The symlinks to libmmbd.dylib create aliases in the names of the libraries (libaacs.dylib and libbdplus.dylib) VLC expects to find in ~/lib. I assumed that libmmbd.dylib contained those library functions and the aliases (symlinks) were a way to satisfy VLC to have access to those functions.

GHender3 wrote:
Moving MakeMKV Beta into the /Applications folder corrected the problem for both AACS and BDPlus encrypted discs. An instance of MakeMKV (makemkvcon) launched and the main title played.
I duplicated your scenario by moving the application and updating the symlinks accordingly. Sure enough, it works flawlessly and the makemkvcon process is running.

FYI: If you do not update the symbolic links to reflect the change in location, you'll receive this error:
Code:
Blu-ray error
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.

GHender3 wrote:
VLC can be anywhere you wish to keep it. But it appears that MakeMKV needs to be in the main applications folder on the boot drive, and not in a a subfolder.
I'd love to figure out why. Perhaps VLC cannot start the makemkvcon process if the app is anywhere but the /Applications directory? Of course, you could also keep the MakeMKV.app wherever you’d like by placing a symlink in the /Applications directory instead:
Code:
ln -s /Applications/makemkv_v1.10.5/MakeMKV.app /Applications/MakeMKV.app
I confirmed that works as well.

I know that’s a lot to chew, I know, but I think this is a big help in understanding the functionality of the macOS implementation (which is severely lacking in documentation).

Cheers, man!

- Dave