MKV File is missing?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
hippoeki

MKV File is missing?

Post by hippoeki »

I just ripped a Fight Club blu to my desktop and it looked like it worked fine BUT I can't find the file! The 31.8 GB seems to be being used but there's no file on my desktop. When I try redoing the rip, MakeMKV says the file already exists and asks if I want to overwrite it. I suspect the issue has to do with a weird file name "._t00.mkv" but I can't figure out how to find the file. Any ideas?
Woodstock

Re: MKV File is missing?

Post by Woodstock »

Ripping to your desktop is a bad habit to have - you should have a defined area for files like this, since the desktop is considered a "privileged area" by the operating system.

In Preferences->Video, the default destination is defined. If you didn't tell MakeMKV where to put files being ripped, that's where you will find them.

Also, when you open the disk, the area next to the button to start the rip, there is the path that will be used for saving the files. It is initially filled in by the settings above, but you can change them.

This topic has pictures that illustrate this.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
hippoeki

Post by hippoeki »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for next time but any idea on how to find this seemingly invisible file?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I'd start by loading a disk into MakeMKV and see where it proposes to save the output. That should get you close to explore with Finder.

If you remember part of the file name, you can also have Finder search for it.

And... It may already be on (or in a folder on) your desktop, but it isn't being displayed as a media file. By default, MacOS doesn't have a tool for playing MKV files, so it doesn't treat them as special. Installing an MKV capable player will change that.

There are several Mac users on this forum that would have a better idea of where to look. I only use a Mac a few times per year.
hippoeki

Post by hippoeki »

As I said in my original post, I saved the file to the desktop and MakeMKV says the file already exists and asks if I want to overwrite it when I try ripping it again. The file name was ._t00.mkv but nothing turns up when I search Finder for that name.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Finder will hide files that start with a dot, unless you specifically ask it to show hidden files.

What exactly do you have set in Preferences->Video ? What is selected in the radio buttons, and what's in the text box?
hippoeki

Post by hippoeki »

I have turned on the ability to see hidden files and still don't see it.

In Preferences->Video I have Auto selected and /Users/myusername/Desktop in the text box.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you open a terminal window and change to the /Users/myusername/Desktop directory, does ls -al *.mkv show the file?

If so, you can rename it to something that would normally be visible, with mv ._t00.mkv MyPreferredName.mkv and it should appear on the desktop with the new name.
arthurwycliff

Post by arthurwycliff »

I just encountered the same problem with the same disc, Fight Club. Tried saving to multiple locations - MakeMKV announces that the file has been successfully saved, but it never appears anywhere. Nothing hidden. @Woodstock's terminal idea turned up nothing. Is this problem caused by the disc tracks titles - ._t04.mkv - or is it some protection measure? Anyone know how it can be overcome?
neboling

Post by neboling »

I think I figured it out. If you go into preferences for MAKEMKV, you can check "expert" and then the advanced tab appears. In the "Output file name template section" I added "FC" at the beginning (before {name1} {-: etc etc...). Now I just need to remember to delete FC when I'm done ripping Fight Club. :)
reduser28

Post by reduser28 »

I had the same issue with the same blu ray. I'm wondering though if the file is still in the destination taking up space? I don't want 31GB lost just because I need to rip it again with the FC in the front. Anyone find out for sure?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If the file exists but the name is hidden, it's taking up space. Ripping with a different name would make a different file, so finding the "bad" name will be necessary for cleaning up the space.
Normanj

Post by Normanj »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:52 am
Ripping to your desktop is a bad habit to have - you should have a defined area for files like this, since the desktop is considered a "privileged area" by the operating system.

In Preferences->Video, the default destination is defined. If you didn't tell MakeMKV where to put files being ripped, that's where you will find them.

Also, when you open the disk, the area next to the button to start the rip, there is the path that will be used for saving the files. It is initially filled in by the settings above, but you can change them.

This topic has pictures that illustrate this.
Hello Woodstock,

Thank you so much for your guide. It was really helpful for me...
Normanj
AppValley offers to download thousands of apps, games, tweaks, and premium apps for free without jailbreaking.https://appvalley.one/