EXTERNAL blu-ray drive hardware or software issue

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
fishbisquit

EXTERNAL blu-ray drive hardware or software issue

Post by fishbisquit »

Hello,
My external drive has been acting up the last few weeks. It has been routinely not mounting blu-ray discs. Sometimes it takes me 10 tries to get a disc to mount. Once mounted it will rip fine with MAKEMKV.
Today I can not get it to mount any blu-ray discs at all. Yesterday I was able to rip 2 blu-rays. The weird thing is that it will mount dvds no problem. So could this be a hardware issue?
If it mounts dvds but not blu-rays does that mean the hardware is working so it must be a software issue?
fishbisquit

Re: EXTERNAL blu-ray drive hardware or software issue

Post by fishbisquit »

Atempting to answer my own question. It appears as if blu-ray discs use a different laser then dvds do to be read. If this is true, then I'm assuming it could be an issue where the blue laser has stopped working and the red dvd laser is still working. Correct?
Woodstock

Re: EXTERNAL blu-ray drive hardware or software issue

Post by Woodstock »

Bluray drives use one laser, blue in color, for all reading. Most DVDs can be read with either red or blue light, although some don't work. That's why I keep a couple of DVD drives handy.

If your Bluray drive reads anything, the laser is probably fine.

Mounting BDs on MacOS can be problematic, in that MacOS itself can interfere with access, as it tries to enforce the AACS locks.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging