1.16.5 crashing M1 Mac Mini

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
RaphaelLouis

Re: 1.16.5 crashing M1 Mac Mini

Post by RaphaelLouis »

rkric258 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:35 pm
Here has some guidance and steps to fix crashing on mac:
Remove all external devices excluding AC power connection, display, mouse, keyboard, and Ethernet connection.
Restart Mac and immediately press and hold the D key until ...
...Clean up your Mac’s startup disk to allow your macOS to function correctly.
C. Delete Software Update Caches
If your Mac crashed during the auto software update, then you must clean the following files:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate/
/Home/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.123.plist

Finally, a suggestion for you, If you are thinking to switch or move to laptop then I think macbook pro m1 variant will be a good option to getting better performance on regular and even heavy task.
:D

Wow. What a boilerplate response man... (or woman). I mean, I appreciate your posting and trying to contribute, but you sound like one of those support people that have a script they must follow for each and every single person calling for support, no matter what the issue is... "1- Restart your computer. 2- Restart your router. 3- Empty your trash..." :lol:

Anyways, I don't mean any disrespect. As I said, you are trying to help after all.

Back on topic here: I've just encountered the same issue. My setup: An iMac Pro (not to be confused with the Mac Pro) with 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports (and another 4 USB-A ports), and yes, I am using every single one of the 8 ports, connected to two self powered HDDs, 4 SSDs (bus powered), a USB hub (self powered) that extends my USB-A ports by 9 more ports, and out of those 9, 7 are connected to various devices as well. And yes, I AM using a USB-C port powered LG drive in a Lantec enclosure (external). I am encountering the issue at 14 minutes and 32 seconds into reading the "Attack of the Clones Star Wars Blu-Ray"... The problem happens every time, at the same moment, 14m32s into the rip. I tried disconnecting everything else from the other ports, no resolution. From searching the forums, I found at least another thread also mentioning a Star Wars Blu-Ray... Which got me thinking that there is something going on specifically related to Star Wars disks, as weird as that may sound, after all, what would a hardware issue have to do with the disk you are trying to rip...? But hey, facts are facts. I'm not the only one seeing the same error, and it is hard to believe that it is just a coincidence that the other person was also trying to rip a Star Wars disk... Perhaps MakeMKV is misdiagnosing what is going on for real and reporting one error when actually there is something else really going on...? When the problem happens, my iMac is fine and dandy, but the drive is dead in the water. I can't even eject the disk. To get back to normal I need to disconnect the drive from the USB port, connect it again, restart MakeMKV, and it starts working again. Weird. Very weird (technical term).

Well, I'm trying and troubleshooting/researching the issue further when I have a chance. I'll post again if I can find a resolution or a workaround.

Peace, be well everyone, R.